Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Ice Fish Rod Holder Suggestions
Yesterday my pole bucket fell on the back of my snowmobile on my way in to the reservoir. I ended up driving back 1/2 a mile to pick up my 'yard sale' of poles. One of my Berkley reels busted off the base [Sad]

I have wanted to get rid of my bucket as a pole holder for a while now so I am looking for suggestions on what others use to transport their poles back and forth from their truck to the ice.

I do have a snowmobile and a snowmobile cover for my Jetsled so PVC pole holders on the back of my sled might not be the best option.

I was at Cabela's yesterday and found this:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-...Collection

Looks promising. I typically take 6 rods (I usually fish with two of my boys).

Any other suggestions?
[signature]
That is a nice case Cabelas is selling. Have you checked DI (or similar places) for a suitcase or possibly even a oversized gym bag of sorts? We have found them to be quite affordable. You can even roll all the rods in a piece of tarp to prevent them tangling up very badly before inserting the roll into the bag. It has worked pretty nicely. While a bag is less protected it does pack nicely where a suitcase won't.

Having the cover that you have over your sled does mean you'd need to carry them horizontally. We have the rod holders on back of our sleds and we use small bungee cords over and under pattern to better secure them better since we do occasionally have one bounce out when crossing the ice since the rods cannot seat as deeply with the inline reels we are now using. It works. So if your cover is a soft cover maybe the back end would work as your 'bungee' if you just went overtop of the rods?

Trial and error and experience. Everyone's situation/set up/gear is different.

Hope you find something that'll work out.
[#0000FF]If you are blasting across rough ice and snow with a machine, the rod case is a good idea. But if you are towing it while pulling your sled by hand, you might like to fab something like this. Been using it for years. A good idea to lay the rods down while going through brush or down a hill to the lake.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "REAR ROD HOLDER.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I own the Cabela's case and I love it. It allows me to transport and store my rods and other ice fishing gear. I keep extra line as well as my rod holders in the storage on the outside of the rod storage.
[signature]
An inexpensive option I have used for years now is a T-ball baseball bat bag that my kids no longer need. Easily holds six poles, two 22 inch measuring boards, ice scoop, rags and on the return trip off the ice the empty Gatorade bottles. Opens wide, protects poles, easy carry handles and lays horizontal. Lots of color choices for bat bags too!
Consider buying rod sleeves for each rod to prevent tangling and then simply house them in a GI canvas duffel bag. The carry strap can be slipped through something before being snapped, thus tying the bag to your sled. That and a bungee should be secure enough for almost any trip in.

Plus, room in the duffel for some extra dry clothes - just in case.
[signature]
Great feedback! It was on for $50 there yesterday. I'll be more tempted if there were a sale! I'll keep my eyes on it.
[signature]
[quote talyn]An inexpensive option I have used for years now is a T-ball baseball bat bag that my kids no longer need. Easily holds six poles, two 22 inch measuring boards, ice scoop, rags and on the return trip off the ice the empty Gatorade bottles. Opens wide, protects poles, easy carry handles and lays horizontal. Lots of color choices for bat bags too![/quote]

This is a great idea! I'll cruise to the DI and look for one. I am guessing my son will want to keep his while he is still playing baseball!!
[signature]
I put mine in a cabelas rod bag with homemade rod sleeves made out of pvc.
[signature]
I have the 6 rod holder from Cabelas. I wish I would have bought it years ago.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Check out this case; I like it way better than any of the soft cases I've used in the past.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4T_BeW_3K0"]Eagle Claw/Wright-McGill rod case[/url]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks Bob! Looks like a great case (the Eagle Claw). Funny though, I couldn't find a place to buy it from on the internet...

Where did you buy yours?
[signature]
Thanks Rocky! I saw some rod sleeves at Sportsman's the other day. Great idea.
[signature]
I have the eagle claw. I really like it. I use it with with the rod sleeves and do not get tangled. It is a little bulky, but it doubles as my tackle box. I bought mine at sportsmans.
[signature]
THANKS!

I really appreciate all the advice you experts give! As I look at other states general forum I see little or no activity so I am extremely grateful for your sage wisdom and advice you guys give out!
[signature]
[quote RavenBlackbird]Thanks Bob! Looks like a great case (the Eagle Claw). Funny though, I couldn't find a place to buy it from on the internet...

Where did you buy yours?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I bought mine at Dick's in Layton last year. Smith & Edwards had them last year as well.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I bought the Eagle Claw hard case holds 6 rods with reels. I love it but it does take up a little more space in my sled ,but it keeps my rods from being broken .
[signature]