Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butte, Mt
This is probably a long shot but does anyone know of somewhere to fish near Butte, Mt the first week of April? Planning to visit in-laws and I would rather fish than sit around all day. I believe rivers will still be closed so it's lakes only from what I have found so far. Thanks for any tips.
[signature]
Are you asking about ice fishing there or are you looking for open water fishing? Pretty sure there will be places to ice fish, not so sure about open water fishing.
[signature]
I was hoping for open water however after more digging I found it will cost me $50 for a 2 day non resident license. I don't think I will be venturing out to the shore. Thanks anyway.
Wow, that price seems high, I doubt I'd fish there either for that amount.
[signature]
$50 for two days, that is ridiculous!!
[signature]
Blame the Mussels: To legally fish in Montana you must hold a valid fishing license. You need to first purchase the required $10 conservation license followed by your fishing license and $15 aquatic invasive species pass ($2 for residents) followed by the appropriate duration license.

Non Resident Licenses are sold in 2 day blocks for $25, 10 day blocks for $56 or season for $86. So if you are fishing for one or two days the cost is $50 non resident for the required conservation license, AIS pass and 2 day fishing license, $75 total for 4 days (2 sets of 2 day licenses plus conservation and AIS), $81 for 10 days and $111 total for a season.

But seriously, nobody from out of state should ever go fishing in Montana. Besides the cost, its too crowded and they don't stock the rivers. It gets too cold up there.
[signature]
"But seriously, nobody from out of state should ever go fishing in Montana. Besides the cost, its too crowded and they don't stock the rivers. It gets too cold up there."

Jim, your comment made me Smile this morning. Love your "matter of fact" approach to all things fishing.

By the way, I need to spend a day with you at FG again. It's been way too long.

Jared
[signature]
I've got three days left open for the season![shocked] I just donated my $111 to Montana for my 2019 license that renews March 1st. Comes out to less than $3 a day for me, though I still don't know why I waste time and money going there. All they have is public stream access and wild trout.[Wink]
[signature]