Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New lighted lures
I saw those new led lighted lures on the Utah site so wanted to let you know they work good. I tried them at Magic Reservoir this morning.They are pricey, $5.00 apiece and I didn't like the big red treble hook that came with them, at least for perch. So I took it off and added a two inch chain and a small #4 red treble. Have you seen those Nills lures with the chain and then the hook? They are pricey also and I have had good luck with adding a chain to a castmaster and then the hook. So I did this to the new lures. They all worked great but maybe the red wasn't as good as the other colours. I have heard they can't see red, but I do have better luck with red treble hooks verses the regular ones. And anyway I could not keep them perch off my hook. I was at the East side, and and all alone just 100 yards from the boat launch. I caught over 40 perch and quit at 11 am. So I drove over to the West side to see how they were doing. I talked to about 10 people and no one had over 6 perch each. But dead sticking wasn't working. I caught most while jigging softly just off the bottom in 32 fow.
[signature]
Very interesting & thanks for the mod advice too. I have not seen the led lures. Could you post a link to them?

I got a couple of the Lindy glow stick spoons for my last trip to the Gorge. I was hoping they would work well for burbot. Didn't find enough burbot to give them a fair shake but my first impression was very dissapointing. My friend sitting 20 feet away could not see the spoon at all after dark when I held it up. Pulled out regular glow jigs & he could see them, without recharhing, no problem. Tried them for lakers for an hour without any luck, switched to yamamoto glow jigs and caught several pups before we got off the ice for the night. Will give them another chance next trip but as I said, I was not impressed. Maybe the glow sticks that came with mine were old or something? Have others had this problem?
[signature]
I saw them somewhere on the Utah site. I think!?? I will get the info of where I bought them and post it. Probably not until tomorrow. I haven't ever fished for borbot, but I used to fish the gorge a lot when I lived in Utah. And I was thinking these would be great for borbot ice fishing.
[signature]
Here ya go...

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
Thanks Rocky, yes that is where I got them.
[signature]
I've been wondering if anyone else had messed around with these before. The ones I got were a bit different and flashed red, green, white, and blue. I've been calling them "disco spoons" since then. Here's a link to the ones I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Fish-Saltwater...&sr=1-5I'd
O
riginally picked them up last year and tossed them aside because I thought the flashing was a bit extreme. After getting skunked on my first few ice fishing trips this year, I brought them along with my fish finder to see if they actually attracted fish or not.

I think I tried them on Panguitch lake first. By themselves, they were way too big for a fish to hit. What really surprised me was how the fish suddenly swarmed to the area. After trying about 20 different combinations, I found that tying them to my main line as a sort of sinker with a little 1.75" tube jig around 3" below worked extremely well.

I suspect it gives a similar presentation to a moving spinner blade or flasher/dodger setup without actually having to move it. For trout, they've been amazing, but I haven't tried them much on any other species. I've even used them in the lower Provo river with success. Rigged differently for that though.

For rivers, attach one split ring to a sinker slider, then another to some kind of drop shot/bass sinker to keep it stationary. Add a bead, swivel and about 6-12" of leader to a floating jig head stuffed inside a 2.5-4" tube jig. Larger ones would require some additional materials to float. Packing foam and a long light wire hook or two will work if your flig isn't buoyant enough. Let the current and the waves move it around while you fish with your other pole or just kick back and wait for the bite. I took a new personal best rainbow from the lower Provo on this setup.

I know it seems overly complicated to some, but I think it's worth trying if you're running two poles with the intent of putting food on the table. Those disco spoons have allowed me to limit out on the berry and other good trout waters in an hour or less. I'm looking forward to trolling with them later this year and experimenting on other species. In terms of numbers, my catch rate with them is about 63% better vs just using the little tube jig alone for rainbows. I plan to keep track of the same type of data for other species over the summer if anyone is interested.
[signature]
Make your own using glow power this stuff works
two websites to read and learn, they are not fishing sits, also you can make glow in the dark hooks. you mix the power in a good slow set epoxy. I made a video on how to do it.

https://www.technoglowproducts.com/

https://www.artnglow.com/
[signature]
I was wishing I had a camera so I could watch what was happening down there. I guess I'll get one before next year. I was wanting to see why the red one wasn't working as good. I figured that with all this new snow that it had to be pitch dark under the ice. So as soon as I seen them I wanted them. I have another set coming from the same company, but without hooks, just the attractors. They should be here any day. I'll see how they look when they get here. I am planning to add the chain and small treble to them.

I need to read up on how to post pictures here but if anyone is uncertain to what I'm talking about with the chain, check out the Nills lures. You can even buy a set of two chains with hooks and no lures from Nills. I have a Nills ice auger so when I seen they had lures I took notice. But like the augers, the lures cost a lot. And you can make them yourself for pennys. When I first started making my own I cut apart a gold filled necklace and used gold chain. But I went to a Micheals craft store and bought a 7 yard roll of stainless steel chain.

Any Bigfish members that want to try it I would mail you five of the chains with split ring and you can attach your own hook. For free.
[signature]
I have pictures of the sonar when I was using them if that helps.
[signature]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HL...eb2afffa01
Wow, those are pricey, this other lures you are getting, do you also have to order 4 or do they sell them one at a time? Did you have luck with the other colors beside red?
Here is a link to adding pictures to your post:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
I thought that I would give these a try. Just ordered 5 large and 5 small on Amazon for $30 total, free shipping. I can foresee several riggings that I want to try. Might even try them while sturgeon fishing. For sure they will be used on Willard for wipers.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I bought the small ones. Thanks for the picture link. I will post some pictures. And I did get the new lighted flashers today in the mail from China. I will post them. They are on a brass blade, where the fish hooks are on a stainless steel blade. They don't look to me that they would have any action to be used as a casting lure. But at the head of worm harness and dragged slowly across the bottom might work for cats and walleye. I have played with various florescent lights for trout with no success.
[signature]