Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waders for ice fishing?
Does anyone have experience using chest waders for fishing lakes this time of year? I want to get on the ice at some lakes that have melted edges and even with a plank you can get in over the top of your regular boots. I don't have the waterfowl-hunting type, just the fly-fishing with separate boots. Any thoughts? Would I freeze my feet off?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I don't ice fish a lot but when I go I wear my lightweight breathable waders. I wear a pair of thermals and then some fleece pants and my heat holder socks and I'm good for the day.
[signature]
Ah, heat holder socks, gotta get a pair of those. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

This question comes up every year early or late season and I have to say the thought really scares me unless you're also wearing a PFD. Imagine going in over your head with waders on in freezing cold water and then trying to get out with waders full of that water. Hip waders or a pair of muck boots might be a different story but chest waders just seem like a bad idea.
[signature]
Personally not worth the risk. Body weight + at least 40# water weight. Don’t know if the PFD would even help.
[signature]
Yeah, I thought about that and it's good that you and Jedidiah have helped me make up my mind. Maybe I'll get some thigh-high irrigating boots since I could use them out in the pasture this summer anyway. Might even help when I'm launching my boat [Tongue].
[signature]

I guess I shouldn't do that any more.[:/]

Good advice!
[signature]
Every time I hit the ice, I'm in waders. Slush and snow don't bother me at all. If I go in over the top of the bib, I'm still not terribly worried, as I'll have to get pretty horizontal to get out anyway. Most of that water will pour out and - It weighs nothing while in the water.

Not having wet feet is a huge advantage of waders. If you're fishing ice that's thick enough not to worry about, then you're set.
[signature]
Also if you waders have the belt keep it snug and it will help keep most of the water out.

A PDF works fine till you are getting out. Then if the waders are dragging you back in just undo the straps and let them down to get the water out.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I second a bad idea for safety reasons.
[signature]
Just use your waders to get on the Ice then swap em out for your regular ice fishing boots when on if your worried about going in while in waders.

If your going to just use waders and are worried about cold toes use foot and toe warmers. When I'm gonna be ice fishing or goose hunting in really cold weather I'll put a foot warmer on the bottom of my socks and a toe warmer on the topside of my toes. My feet are sandwiched in cozy warmth all day.
[signature]
Exactly, waders aren’t going to be an issue as your remaining pretty horizontal getting out. Plus with chest waders it is hard to really get that much water in from a fall through ice or any fall for that matter. And the last thing you want to do once you pull yourself out with or without waders is stand up near the edge you just went through. You should roll far away from the opening in the ice before even considering getting up on your feet. Waders will decrease risk of hypothermia and drowning in this scenario. However even more important is staying calm and already having a plan how you’ll get out and minimize risk of going back through the ice in the process.
So yes wear the waders if you like and ignore the waders will drown you myth.
[signature]
I will wear waders on the ice as well when there is slush. It is indeed a myth that you will sink to the bottom if your waders get water in them. (it is a neutral buoyancy state) If you wear a wading belt or use neoprenes with a belt, then it is hard to fill them with water anyway. I could see where they may present a little more weight to move in getting out of falling in, but it would only be a small part of the equation.

Sadly, I do have firsthand experience of falling through ice in waders. Yes, waders are neutral buoyancy. I wasn't ice fishing though, I was duck hunting.
[signature]
Most have fished,hunted,kickboated in winter.I doubt late season melting ice fishing is colder than that, or bring a old aluminum ladder or a good plank so you dont need waders.Then drill a hole,but be careful it would really be ironic if the ice safety guy went down late season,not listening to his own advice.
[signature]
Good to hear it explained so well, you guys might convince me to wear my waders some time. Sorry about the worry wart-ing.
[signature]
Lol, I love irony as long as nobody gets hurt.

I know that you have fished Deer Creek somewhat this year. Do you happen to know what the ice conditions are? Any advice on how to fish it? I'm especially after browns. Thanks in advance.

I've used an aluminum ladder before. Does anyone have a viewpoint on using one versus a plank?
[signature]

I have an older pair of neoprene waders and I wore them all 3 times I was on the ice (also wore a PFD). I wore them because they provided good insulation. They are tight enough that not much water could get in. (I didn't the day we fished off the dock)

However, if I thought the chances of going through on the edge were high, I might stay home, just on general principles.
[signature]
I wear my duck waders all the time, I also dont go out if I think I'll drop in.
[signature]
I agree with all of the points expressed so far favoring wearing waders ice fishing including the aspects that safety isn't greatly hindered for anyone who has fitness. I have used waders on many of my first few ice fishing seasons before I got really nice Gore-Tex ice fishing and hunting bibs and suits which I now favor for slush because I stay dry from perspiration and I can make many adjustments of layering or zip them open to get some cool air for when I'm running around auguring a lot of holes by muscle powered Nils auger. Both choices keep my legs dry when I kneel in the wet slush, but I strongly favor the breathable. I even wear the non-wader hunting or ice fishing breathable bibs or suits even when the ice is questionable on a leg going through which happened a few times with not enough water getting in to even bother me with a clothing change of which I always carry extra clothing and extra boots yet never needed to use them (it's a preparedness thing and I often invite friends, so it is to be able to help make friends new to ice fishing comfortable to enjoy the experience). My current favorite choices are bibs with full length leg zippers for selectively ventilating combined with goose down vests with snap closures which I selectively add and remove layers to keep body heat right. While sitting and fishing, the lower activity means needing more insulation and while being athletic, I remove a lot of layers. But, if I were to ice fish when the ice has soft edges or needs a plank, I would be fine with selecting waders for that day.

I'm a strong advocate of waders for much more than fishing. I've practically lived in breathable waders while camping on days of rain and mud. The mud just washes off by walking through the stream and I stay warm and dry.

(Asking a favorSmile My favorite waders for that are breathable stocking foot fly-fishing type in camouflage and had I known I would never find that combination again, I would have stocked up. I can't find the same in camouflage and those in camouflage have very heavy boots attached. The advantage of my favorite is they roll up small and lightweight and fit in a pocket of my backpack for if it turns rainy and muddy. I also like them in the snow for hunting. If anyone has seen waders like that, then please tell me where I can buy them. So far, I only find them in solid colors.
[signature]
i havent been to deer creek lately.If you go to echo on a rainy day you will catch a brown any where towards coalville from the boat ramp.The ice is still very thick once you get on.
[signature]