Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIRST HUNT!!
I put in for my first ever hunt last night. I am extremely excited.

1) DB1531 - Rifle Buck Deer - Box Elder (Oct 19 - Oct 27, 2019)
2) DB1590 - Early Rifle Buck Deer - Chalk Creek/East Canyon/Morgan-South Rich (Oct 9 - Oct 13, 2019)
3) DB1544 - Rifle Buck Deer - Ogden (Oct 19 - Oct 27, 2019)
4) DB1532 - Rifle Buck Deer - Cache (Oct 19 - Oct 27, 2019)
[signature]
Good luck, I love that Box Elder unit.... at least I used to... Not as many big buck where I hunted as there used to be... but always seemed to see some buck, so it made it fun... But in it's day we used to get wall hangers out there... missed some buck that still run through my dreams... great times... Later J
[signature]
That sounds like great memories. My neighbor is taking me out so I just put down what he suggested.

I would like a trophy but really I just want to learn and earn some meat. I'll eventually have somthing up on the wall.
[signature]
Best of luck on finding one this year and drawing a permit so you can shoot it... Year before last I shot a field buck and that was the best eating animal I've had probably ever... So find one of those bucks that eat in the hay fields out there and you'll enjoy some great eats... If they are around corn fields even better... If they are a little strong make it into summer sausage and it will disappear quickly... Later Jeff
[signature]
Awesome Thanks Jeff!

So check this out. The rifle I am going to use is my step grandfathers gun. He was in the Army in WWII and took a bunch of islands in the Pacific. He carried a M1903. He brought it home and took the stock off of it and put a hunting stock and a modern scope and mount on it. He modified the bolt a little for the scope. He hunted with this rifle the rest of his life.

It was handed down to me last year. I know this isn't the best rifle and it's definetly not the lightest. But I can't wait to take a deer with it for him.
[signature]
Good luck on the draw. I had to respond about your rifle. I am 65 now and when I was a boy I got my grandfather's infield 30-06. My dad had put a nice stock and a 4 power Weaver scope on it. But as soon as I could afford it, while I was still in high school I took it to Scotty at the Gift House in Ogden and had him put a Leapold 3x9 scope on it. And that is the only big game rifle I have ever had. I grew up hunting a private ranch, The Claton/McFarland ranch, in Easy Canyon and back then and we all needed the Deer meat to survive the year. And we party hunted to fill every tag. I shot 4 or 5 deer a year. Over 20 four points or better and my biggest, a 8 by 7 point 32 inch spread. Plus many elk and in 1976 I shot enough coyote to pay for my Ruger 22-250 and another Leapold 3x9.
But I still use my old infield 30-06, with the military trigger that you have to take the play out of before you start your squeeze, for big game.
[signature]
That is really cool, what a special hunt that will be. Is your grandfather still alive? If so I’m sure he will be excited to have someone fill his footsteps. Thanks for sharing that. Later J
[signature]
Great story. I also have my grandfathers 30-06. I also have the old 4 power scope that ws on it on a small .22 rifle. The rifle now stays in the safe however i might just bust it out some time and go take a buck with it to commemorate for my grandfather.
[signature]
Good luck to you sir on your first draw and hopefully this fall, we will be hearing about the nice buck you tagged out on. I too have my Grandfathers 30-06 and have taken a few elk, deer and a speed goat with it. Its now retired and in the safe, but it could come out some day for a commemorative hunt for him.
[signature]
That's great to hear. I hope that I can have the same success with my grandfather's gun. I'm getting a late start on this passion I'm already 42. I can only imagine the awesome stories you have growing up hunting.
[signature]
No, unfortunately he passed a couple years ago. But I know he will be happy if I am able to get something with it.
[signature]
Sounds like my father's rifle except he had a 2.5x Weaver and a Mannlicher (full-length) stock. When I was a teenager my 30-06 didn't have a scope so I borrowed his to go hunting with two uncles one day over by Mesa Verde. The country was loaded with deer that had come down early to their wintering grounds. I shot up all my ammo but no deer were hurt in the making of that hunt as the saying goes. My uncles got no shots. Turned out that my dad had fallen on his rifle and the scope was badly off. The image of two nice bucks bounding down a hill toward me with me blazing ineffectually away is seared into my brain forever. Be sure to practice shooting from all positions and be sure of your zero! Besides, shooting and getting set up to go is half the fun. And believe me, you have plenty of years to make memories of your own. Be sure to scout every chance you can. That's the other half of the fun [Wink][sly].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thank you I will definitely be posting in here inthe fall if I am able toget a deer. How far were you shooting with your grandfathers gun?
[signature]
More advice. Hunt anything and everything you can. Shooting at a live animal is different than when you are just out to bag a piece of paper. You probably won't get buck fever on a rabbit, but you might think of it as cross-training. Besides, it's a lot of fun in and of itself.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nothing more than 300 yards
[signature]
That's great advice. I did shoot a grouse last year on my buddies elk hunt. That was a tasty snack wrapped in bacon back at camp. I would like to find some more of those this year too.
[signature]
Wouldn't hurt to read a lot. Just be careful, you'll hear of hunters bagging game at tremendous ranges but be aware that 300 yards is a very long shot. If you practice at any further distance you'll come to appreciate how difficult it is to make a clean shot at that range. And that's when you aren't excited and out of breath.
[signature]

Well since he’s moved on now I’ll bet he will be close by you during the hunt. So it will probably be even better. Best of luck. Jeff
[signature]

Well I drew my first choice. I also got a new scope for the old rifle and have been working on getting better with it. Vortex has an awesome sale proce for Vets. I got the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44. Valuable lesson learned. Take it easy on the caffine before shooting at distance. After a few deployments I am jumpy around other gunfire and caffine seems to make it worse. It looks like I'm shooting my target with a shotgun. HAHA
[signature]
Congratulations. You'll have a lot of fun.

About the accuracy. Of course you want little tiny cloverleaves when you're practicing. But "minute of deer" is what you really need in the field. Try jogging back and forth when you go out to check your targets. If you can keep them all inside a paper plate you're good to go. Hopefully you will find a situation where you can lie prone and rest your rifle over your pack and snipe them, but prepare for the worst. One more bit of advice: Keep your scope on 4X all the time when hunting. If you get a shot at a deer that's flushing like a pheasant you'll be thankful for the big field of view. And four power is all that people usually used a generation back and it's been used to bring down a gazillion head of big game over the years. If you have a calm situation you can always turn the power up.

I hope I'm not telling you things you already know. Just some things I've learned along the way.
[signature]