Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 1/1/2020
Catchinon and I, along with my son in law Adam and his brother Nate, hit Strawberry Chicken Creek East on New Year’s day. We fished in about 28 fow, and there was 6-7” of good clear ice with about 4” of snow on top. Only slush was around our holes.

Catching was slow. In about 4 hours, we iced 10 cutthroats between the 4 of us, ranging from 14-19”. No rainbows. Most seemed to hit on something with green or yellow on it - atomic teasers, atomic tubes, plain jig heads, etc. Due to stores closing earlier than we thought, we didn’t get any wax worms, and had to make do with butter worms from WM. We did catch a few using those, none on night crawlers, and the majority were caught on chub morsels.

Fish seemed to be cruising in mid column (14-20’), but we did catch a couple off the bottom. It snowed intermittently but it was altogether a nice day on the lake.
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Thanks for the report, man you guys are die hards out every day all over the state... Congrats I'm jealous of the time you're getting to play... Sorry it wasn't more productive, but I've had worse days... Later Jeff
[signature]
How were the roads?
[signature]
Thanks Jeff. Some of us did have to work hard to avoid a skunk. It’s been a fun season so far. Hoping to get into a few more species and some larger fish.
[signature]

The highway up Provo Canyon then up Daniels to Strawberry was snow packed and slick in the morning, but okay in the afternoon when we went home.
[signature]

I don't doubt a bit that you'll get both bigger and more to add to your tally... That 26"er is a great mark for a trout... Will be tough to beat... but I'll bet you keep trying... Best of luck... Jeff
[signature]
Sorry to here about the slow day, which WM did you find butter worms at?
[signature]
My son in law’s brother got them at WalMart in Cedar Hills.
[signature]

Springville always has them, but Spanish Fork doesn't have anything but nightcrawlers even though I've asked them and was told they'd "have to see about getting some." What dorks. Not sure, but they might have them at pet stores. Always fun to see what they have in their selection. All I know is that I'm going to get some ice-fishing worms to always have on hand in the future. Is the garage a better place to keep waxworms, etc.? Or the refrigerator or at room temperature?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote catchinon]

Is the garage a better place to keep waxworms, etc.? Or the refrigerator or at room temperature?

[/quote]

Enclosed garage.
[signature]
I agree with Kent on the enclosed garage. I often also keep mine under a towel to provide a little more insulation. I have found I can keep them alive for weeks that way. A bait puck can also be a good way to keep them alive for weeks.

The wax worms tend to be a little more fragile than meal worms. I don’t know how cold it got during our night at Flaming Gorge but my wax worms all died while the meal worms were just fine. And they were both in bait pucks.
[signature]