Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helix 7
I am thinking about getting a Helix 7.

Right now I have a humminbird 898c SI on my boat as it's only sonar. I have wanted to get one for the bow for some time. I am also going to use it for ice fishing in the winter. My main reason for using it on the boat is to use the live auto chart feature. My 898 is a year too old to have that function. It came out in the 899 I belive. So I am throwing around the idea of replacing if I like the Helix enough.

I am looking at the Helix 7 SI G2 because of the price and features. But my friend thinks I should get the G2N for networking. I currently don't have anything to hook to it. the G2N's are impossible to find for sale. So my only option to get the networking function is to step up to the G3N. That's $300 more which currently isn't in the budget.

Is the networking worth it?
[signature]
IMO, I'd would say no, it is not worth it but there are reasons why you might consider it. Are you planning on using the same transducer for your bow mounted finder and your other Finder? If you are, then you might want to get it but if you plan on using separate transducers you don't need to network. IMO the best setup would be to have two separate transducers, one on a bow mounted trolling motor and one on your transom.
[signature]
After more researching I may put the 7 in place of the 898c SI. Mu current HDSI transducer is an upgrade to the one that comes with it. But then I am still out of haveing a front one.

My Ipilot has a ducer at the bottom. Maybe I could find a cheaper model with only down imaging that would use that ducer since I usually only fish upfront when the trolling motor is down anyways.

I am leaning towards the G2 without networking. Mostly because I don't have anything else to currently hook it to. And if I decide to upgrade all that stuff too I might as well buy a new boat with all that already on right? HAHA
[signature]
I got an I pilot last year and tried to hook it up to my Humminbird with no success. So I did some research and found out they make a mounting bracket that goes on the foot where you can attach your Humminbird transducer, it cost around $30, if that is something you are interested in.
[signature]