Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Winter on the Weber/ new boots
Hit the Weber at the WMA section by Henefer at about 1 pm today. Water was low - probable 20 cfs flowing and about 2 feet of visibility. Sun felt warm but there was some icing up of guides a few times while out. Fished to almost 3 pm. Managed only 5 and all were Browns. First 2 were caught a zonker and were 10 and 14 inches. Managed 3 in the 16-17 inch range at the very last hole before private property starts. All 3 of those were on a size 8 Prince nymph. I think it needs to warm up and flows increase a bit to get the rainbows plus more fish in general to move up. Didn’t see a fly of any type hatch the whole time out.
On a side note, I tried out my new Orvis boots that were a birthday present. These are the boots that Michelin developed the tread. They are very noticeable sticky when walking on dry surfaces. In the water even without studs they were extremely sure footed. Didn’t notice any slippage at all the entire time out on moss or even ice.
[signature]
Sounds like a decent afternoon!! You will have to let me know what you think of those boots after a few outings. I will be replacing mine after this season.
[signature]
It was odd not to see any flies at all. Didn’t expect to see stoneflies that far up the canyon quite yet but no midges either. Still winter with light strikes and modest fight from the fish. Give it a couple weeks and big rainbows will be going airborne repeatedly and the browns will be pulling out some line. Be nice if the 2 feet of snow retreats as more fish move up. Boots performed well but I need to see how they do with with some current hitting me in higher water.
[signature]
Thanks for the report! Glad you got out. I am still waiting for spring, but I should be fishing by now.
[signature]