Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 3-10-2019
Met up with some friends at the marina around 7 am. We loaded up and headed out with me in mind that I wasn't going to walk 3 miles in all that snow. And we did...what to me seemed like 100 miles. We headed east of the the lodge and struggled pulling the loaded down sled as far as the other 2 gentlemen wanted to go. We finally decided on 2 miles was far enough and set up tents. The snow was around 2 feet deep sitting on 3 feet of ice. The ice part I heard about and asked the others if they were bringing their gas auger to power through the thick ice. "Yes" i heard and so I thought I'll just take my drill and K-Drill auger and see how that measures up to the task at hand. Well 2 holes and the drill was smoking so bad I couldn't breathe the air from the smoke bellowing out of it. So I went over to the other guys and asked to use their auger...They brought a drill instead to me like me...Oh by were we in trouble. Anyway we managed to get the holes drilled and I had my fish finder seeing fish everywhere and my marcum camera was seeing fish as well, but no takers for 4 hours. We tried everything to get them interested and not-ta. We only iced 3 cuts, one a pc. The wind picked up around 1:30 and we decided to head back. I was so tired from getting a little sleep to the early morning trek through all that snow. Now we had to do it all over again. The snow was a little softer and the sleds where harder to pull. I told the other guys that I would be willing to pay 20.00 to have some one pull my sled back to the truck. After the grueling hike back, one of the guys stated "hey, if you really wanted to get a lift", the lodge charges 25.00 to take and pick you up! imagine the look on my face. I said that information was great to hear at 7 this morning. It was fun as always fishing, but the trek in deep snow is not for these old bones anymore!

We fished in 25 ft of water and most of the fish were on the bottom. Several did come in at 10-15 ft
[signature]
A trip that you will NEVER forget. Gotta love the memories created!
[signature]
Wow Craig, you are even more dedicated that I am. Sure hope we have better luck tomorrow than you did today. It will be nice to be riding.

Strange that you had so much difficulty with drills. I have no problem drilling through it with my Milwaukee drill and Nils auger.
[signature]
Some of you who weren't reading BFT earlier may not know what's happened here. There was a previous post that contained some incorrect information about the Strawberry Bay Marina's charges for shuttling fisherman out on the lake with snowmobiles. I believe the service is valuable and the charges are very reasonable. One of the marina employees is a long time personnel and professional friend and I just wanted to set the record straight. Moderators: If this isn't appropriate, use your hook and jerk me off the stage. [Wink]

With all due respect Kent, you have your facts wrong regarding the Strawberry Bay Marina's charges for shuttling fishermen.

According to an employee of the marina, who we fished with today, the rates for ROUND TRIP shuttles is $25.00 per person on weekdays and $40.00 per person on weekends (Saturday and Sunday). The employee with us today had to leave early to complete a shuttle for a fisherman who used their services.

I sent you a PM about today's trip. Just so everyone else is aware: The slush monster has reared it's ugly head. Be prepared for slush in many areas east of the marina. It was OK this morning but with the afternoon warming the conditions got soft and we had to lighten our loads to get back into the parking lot.

Mike
[signature]
Hey Mike glad you made it home safe. Did you get sunburned as bad as I did? Man that was a fun day, I really enjoyed it, except for the slush later in the day. I wouldn’t recommend doubling up on a snowmobile in the afternoon, we really spun in good. Oh and the problem with drills is the ice is so thick you have to keep your flighting pushing the ice shavings out of the hole. My auger was just verily long enough to get through the ice as my drill touched the water level. But I really enjoyed that trip thanks for the invite. Jeff
[signature]
Mike ,
Thank you for correcting me. I realized my error and deleted it while you were typing your reply.
[signature]
Good luck today Kent, hope the storm misses you down there. Kind of snowy up here this morning. Later J
[signature]
Lots of snow until Hebe City, hopefully that is the end of it, but not likely.
[signature]
Great info, thank you!
[signature]
Sounds like a party. How was the marina parking lot and road conditions?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The road in and the parking lot were plowed. However, comma, if you were pulling a trailer and going over 15 mph, you were going to fast for conditions. I was in 4-wheel drive all the way in and I'm not sure that if I were in 2-wheel drive I wouldn't have gotten stuck. I don't recall seeing any cars in the lot at all; just 4-wheel drive trucks.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks kindly
[signature]
Roads and parking lot were plowed down to a couple of inches of hard pack. A few places on the road were a little rough and some spots were melted out. The worst part was not being able to see where you were on the road--everything was white with no contrast. One little issue was staying on the correct route. I got off when going home and went to a maintenance shed instead. Going in, someone made a similar mistake. I wouldn't want to name him but he definitely didn't get skunked again that day.[bobWink]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Whoops. It's part of the experience. Did the fishy deities Smile on you?
[signature]
Hey now it was foggy, dark and only my third time down there and I didn’t drive two of those times and followed the convoy the other trip. So I think I was lucky I figured out I missed my turn before I got to soldiers creek. By the way Google made me do it. Just following Siri.

Fun trip, I really like that kind of fishing trip. But I’m sure the action helped that. Was surprised at the number of Kokes the group pulled in. Must have been over ten and if you wouldn’t have had me mess you up you would have had a monster koke. Maybe anyway. I’m not sure I share Bobs opinion on being the last trip. I’d love to go again but probably can’t. I think the 3’ of ice will last awhile although it isn’t great ice with all the layers of slush and soft but it’s still going to take a bunch of warm to clear it. Slush wasn’t a lot of fun in the afternoon but with good boots and proper load management I’d fish it again. Later Jeff
[signature]
Hope your trip turned out good, but I'm sure the weather up that way may have been tough... When we left late yesterday afternoon the roads had softened and were turning into their own slushy mess... Where they were melting out, it made it a lot tougher to travel, I was watching Craig's truck back end spin out to the side every so often... I'll bet with new snow on them today you probably didn't have a nice drive in... So I hope the fish bit well for you... Let us know how you do... Later J
[signature]
Kent, I have heard that Milwaukee makes the best cordless drills for the K-Drill or any other auger. My question is what model is the best. My dewalt burnt up on the last trip and now I need to replace it
[signature]
I recently got the Milwaukee M18 Fuel to go with my Nils. Here's a site that might help you:

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2017/...e-changer/
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think this is the kit I got. That's the best price I have seen.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M1.../305059560
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I just replaced my Milwaukee Fuel 18 last month. I bought it and the replacement from CPOMilwaukee. The original was the MILR2604-82. It came with the case.handle, charger, and to XC batteries. Bought it in 2014.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The replacement is just the drill and handle (MILN2805-20). They have very good prices and free shipping. The 2805-22 (Combo kit) is currently out-of-stock, but they have the drill available. I got mine for $191.71 including Utah sales tax.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."