Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry Marina Road Closure
Strawberry Anglers News is reporting, and the Marina confirms, that the road into Strawberry Bay Marina and the parking lot will be closed beginning Monday, March 18. The heavy snows have forced them to suspend plowing operations. Alan Ward of the DWR made the announcement via e-mail.
The Marina says they will be open for business this weekend.
Sad news for Berry ice diehards.
[signature]
Sorry to hear that. It was snowed in pretty good today both ways. They have about run out of places to put the snow, and I bet they have spent their budget.
[signature]
Thanks UI.

I have never heard of "Strawberry Anglers News". What is that? Where do I go to read it or listen to it?

Thanks,

--- Coot ---
[signature]
Man that's unfortunate. I was planning on heading out another time or two this year. Did the email give reference to any sort of time line? Is it a temporary closure to let them catch up? Or closed until further notice?
[signature]
> This is interesting news concerning access at Strawberry Reservoir:
>
> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 10:17:01 AM MDT
> Subject: Strawberry Marina closure
>
> All,
>
> Just letting you know that we just received word that the parking area, and road, leading to the Strawberry Marina will be closed off as of Monday March 18th. The Marina operators have been plowing it, as they typically do, but the heavy snow year has forced them to suspend operations, possibly for the rest of the winter. It is likely that the public will not have access into there until the snow melts (late April or early May depending on weather). Plowed parking areas at Clyde Creek, and along Hwy 40 will remain open as they have been throughout the winter, so there will still be some access points, just not to the Strawberry Marina.
>
> As a side note, we do not typically see as heavy of fishing pressure during late March and April until the ice comes off. Most people are looking to get boats out somewhere during this period. However, we will have a group of anglers that will be impacted by this closure, and we do need to get the word out the best we can. It has been good fishing lately, and we have numerous people interested in going after kokanee through the ice. It is important that we let them know that they can still access some of the parking areas, just not that one.
>
> I am hoping that each of you can get this word out through your channels to let people know of this situation. Please let me know if you have further questions, or need me to follow up with anything else.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan Ward
> Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
> 435-671-8600
>
> Strawberry Anglers Association
> 1594 W North Temple
> Salt Lake City Utah 84114
> United States
[signature]
Wow I didn't know my first trip this year would be my last, but there sure was a lot of snow everywhere, so I can see their point. Thanks for passing along this information, it is much appreciated... Jeff
[signature]
Thank you
[signature]
[quote UintaIce]

Plowed parking areas at Clyde Creek, and along Hwy 40 will remain open as they have been throughout the winter, so there will still be some access points, just not to the Strawberry Marina.

[/quote]

I don't recall hearing the name Clyde Creek. Can someone tell me where that is?
[signature]
thanks for the report i.m not surprised . there is a butt load of snow there this year
[signature]
Clyde Creek is just a little south of the Strawberry River where they strip the eggs from the spauners on the way to Strawberry Marina. (It's about 200 yards south if that far.
[signature]
Thanks, I have seen that parking area there. They use that lot to park and ride their snowmobiles on the side of the mountain. One could park there and ride a snowmobile to The Marina, or Mud Creek, but it would be a long ride. There are much closer areas to park and access the ice, especially if they keep The Ladders plowed.

Perhaps one can safely access the ice near where the Strawberry River empties into Strawberry Reservoir, from that parking area. Perhaps that would be an option and would be much closer, but the water is quite shallow for a long ways out on the reservoir in that area.
[signature]
All of a sudden that new snowmobile just became a whole lot more valuable to you I can see... The road closure will probably shut off a lot of folks easy access to the lake, but with your mobile you can still do it. May be a little longer ride, but sometimes that's part of the fun...

We were talking the other day and thinking we should take snow shoes or cross country skis with us in case our snowmobiles broke down, and with the marina closing now, it will probably be even more important since help will be even further away.. I can't imagine walking 2 miles through that post holing to above your knees slushy lake to get out of there, it would almost be more than you could do...

Anyway glad you have a new mode of transportation to enjoy and stretch the season... Later Jeff
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

We were talking the other day and thinking we should take snow shoes or cross country skis with us...

[/quote]

I always carry them with me. I have worn them several times while I have been fishing to keep me on top of the slush.
[signature]
I don't have any, but I think I will add that to my wish list and try to pick up a pair sometime, I definitely see the value of them... doing what we do... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Jeff, if you add them then you can no longer lay claim to packing light out on the ice.[Wink]
[signature]
If you decide to take a snowmobile to that area watch out for barbed wire fences.

Although that area is a little more shallow it has some very good spring fishing when the ice pulls away from the bank. Fantastic wolly bugger action especially in black. It can be a bit of a walk though.
[signature]
O man, that's going to hurt.... I think I'm the worst when it comes to opposite of that anymore... I don't even think I can do light weight anymore... It would be good if I could, but I'm not sure I can ice fish without a finder anymore... I mean I could, but I don't think I'd want to.... I do fish a couple spots where the water is only 3' deep so I go finder less there, but it drives me nuts to not know if there are any fish around or not... Be good to get back to summer fishing so I lean out my junk and get back to basics... It's going to be hard on me though...

Be careful having that snowmobile, it tends to make it possible to take too much stuff with you and before long you start to think you need it... 90% of what I take hardly ever gets used, but once in awhile I need it, or think I'll need it... I don't know if you seen me with my little train of the snowmobile, the smitty and the flip tent that I pull out when I go lately, but I suspect that might be why you mentioned me going light... But I did get a chuckle out of that one... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[quote lovetofish]

If you decide to take a snowmobile to that area watch out for barbed wire fences.
[/quote]

Thank you for the alert. I think I will pass on that opportunity. I have hunch that a barbed wire fence and a snowmobile is not a good mix.
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

I don't know if you seen me with my little train of the snowmobile, the smitty and the flip tent that I pull out when I go lately, but I suspect that might be why you mentioned me going light...

[/quote]

Yep, I saw that and also what looked like a table set up. I commented on that post also.
[signature]
Does anyone know if they will continue to groom the snowmobile track all the way to the marina?

Otherwise the road could get lots of whoops in it making the trip in to the lake not so much fun. [Image: sad.gif]
[signature]