Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flotilla Changes?
This year we have had some changes and health issues affecting some of our team that helps make the flotilla possible, along with schedule conflicts and such for some of our generous members who's contributions have covered the cost of pavilions so we could do this at little or no cost in the past... Due to some of these issues and some discussions with others that would like to see the flotilla go back to it's original roots as a gathering of members floating new areas together and learning new waters.. without the hassel of setting up meals and awards and prizes and such...

So my question for you is what do you want? Not to sway your vote, but I'll throw out my leanings... The awards dinner we have in the fall has been a great time to get together and visit, take a few minutes to present awards and have a nice dinner and it's a ton less hassel and less costly than the Willard get together.. Seems like trying to fish and get together on the same day makes it hard to do both, so I'm leaning towards a banquet (loosely defined, more like gettting together at Holy Smoke and eating as we talk fishing and then pass out awards) and maybe a separate float day minus the hassels... Like several have said, if we go fish, everyone splits up and does their own thing and not much association happens... so maybe we leave the gatherings to local marinas where someone puts out and invite and says we're fishing this pond today come say helllo...

Anyway let us know so we know what to plan for... I expect we will try to do this gathering between the last week in April to the 3rd week in May... Depending on what we do and availabilities of locations... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Also if you have any other ideas please feel free to reply to this post with those ideas as well. It can help us have some better ideas of things to try that will be fun and make our local group stronger and better... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Anything works for us.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I don't feel qualified to vote because I haven't been to one before. But I do have a couple of observations. I think some people might stay away from the flotilla because they don't have a boat and I think everyone who went to the banquet in November had a good time.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

No, that has not been an issue Craig, there are actually more members that go to the Flotilla, than the banquet, no one that goes to the Flotilla has to fish, some just show up to socialize and not do any fishing.
[signature]
Quote:No, that has not been an issue Craig, there are actually more members that go to the Flotilla, than the banquet, no one that goes to the Flotilla has to fish, some just show up to socialize and not do any fishing.

Craig, what Curt said. Even when we have had windy or wet weather at Willard like 3 years ago, more BFT'ers showed up than that years Cat Contest Dinner. And several of the folks that came didn't have boats but got seats on other members boats.

I think that one big issue for some folks with a flotilla at Willard is the entry cost.
But that has a solution also.

PM sent
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I've enjoyed every one that I have attended no matter where it is. But my favorite was the Bear river and gathering at Muddy Road for a bite afterwards. Maybe Mantua this year, it's a little cheaper than Willard for folks without a parks pass.
[signature]
Mantua might be a good location, the lake is a lot smaller than Willard and would be better for tubers and being able to associate on the water between boats... I don't know anything about using facilities and such there, but I'm sure we could figure it out if it were available...

Willard is so big and so many other users that you never really seen other BFT'ers much on the water... But it also has great fish and great access for all to find... But it's also expensive to get in and also to rent a facility to use for the party.. Good and bad on most options I guess... Keep the voting going... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Mantua? Why not Bear Lake. Both are a long drive for us southerners. But as long as Cache Valley mods are putting things together I guess we will never see another gathering at Lincoln Beach...on Utah Lake. Which is free access by the way.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "FISH FRYIN.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "CHOW HOUNDS.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Launching and parking is free, nice restrooms when open, pavilion rental 30 for 4 hours or 50 all day. 20$ for a camping spot, green grass, shooting area with in 1/4 mile.
sound like a good place to me[Wink]

or just homested until the cops come.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
An alternating schedule, north and south, is a smart and fair suggestion. That's true for flotillas as well as awards dinners, btw.

North host arranges those, and south host likewise.
[signature]
that sound fair.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[quote MSM1970]Launching and parking is free, nice restrooms when open, pavilion rental 30 for 4 hours or 50 all day. 20$ for a camping spot, green grass, shooting area with in 1/4 mile.
sound like a good place to me[Wink]

or just homested until the cops come.[/quote]
Are you talking about the same place as Pat, he says free, you say $30[:/]?
[signature]
[#0000FF]The pavillion is free for all to use. But groups may reserve it for their exclusive use for $50...kinda like Willard. But it is really not that heavily used and if we just showed up and used it there would be no problem...unless someone else had reserved it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Sometimes it is taken over by "biker gangs"[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[inline "BIKER GANG.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have never been to the Flotilla but have ambition to join in this year. I'm open to any site chosen. I do agree that Bear L is a good place. Another alternative Garden City also has a park with a large pavilion area but requires reservations & fee. Only draw back is parking is not to accommodating with vehicles towing.
[signature]
I think Rocky has a good idea, maybe we could get Catchinon, to host the South one and you host the one on the North end and rotated every other year, so you don't get tasked with doing it every year. Not sure if Craig with go for that idea but it's a thought. Also, just an FYI, you don't have to pay for a pavilion at Willard every year, just paying to get into the park with your entrance fee or pass entitles the user to the smaller individual picnic tables, we don't really need the bigger pavilion unless it rains. In the ten year we did the BFT tournament we only rented a pavilion twice and we never really had an issue doing it that way. I does cost to enter the park but by the size of the crowds we have had the last few years, it does not appear that is an issue.
[signature]
They have a calendar to see when it's reserved. I only seen one reservation in the evening. I think it was in May. It usually not people there. Maybe just a family picnics that I've seen.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
The host at Lincoln Beach is a BFT member and a really nice guy. I'm pretty sure we would be treated well by him. He is a friend of Mooseman75 and I fished with him a couple of times last year. We have a cadre of a half dozen members who regularly fish there and I expect they wouldn't mind helping to host the flotilla.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

One other thing Jeff, I see the voting is leaning toward Willard, if you decided to do it at Willard again, there is really no need for food, sure it is nice but it isn't necessary. It would be a simple matter of just doing the raffle and giving away the prizes for the ice fishing contest. Could even do it an hour later, so 1 pm instead of noon, since there would be no food. Members could still socialize and without the need for a pavilion it would be much easier and cheaper. Another option would be to do a get together at both locations, one for the members on the North and one for members on the South end.
[signature]
I need to 'fess up here. I started all this with a PM to Jeff. The reason is that for the past few years, I have covered the fee for the Willard Pavilion and would be happy to continue doing so. (The small contribution you've been asked to pay was for the food alone.) But I may not be able to attend this year, so I suggested that we look for an alternative.
[signature]