Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish finder battery
I just purchased a Garmin Striker 4 to use on a small aluminum boat and a kayak. I now need to get a battery for it. I know the basics about the types of batteries available but I was wondering what to avoid and what people have had success with.

Thanks
SBW
[signature]
You cant go wrong with any of the small 12V sealed battery's they all work great I bought mine from Amazon for $20 and have had no issues https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+7ah+batte...b_ss_i_8_4
[signature]
[#0000FF]The 12v SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries work fine as a power supply for sonars. But they are not deep cycle batteries...and not meant for running completely down and then recharging multiple times. Get a little "trickle charger"...that charges at less than 1 amp per hour. Top off your battery before you go and put it back on the charger as soon as you return.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, if your sonar is high wattage with a lot of extras you may need to get a battery larger than the 7 amp hour batteries that are most common. You can also find 9 ah batteries in the same size...or even 12 ah batteries slightly larger. It is a bummer to have your sonar go blank on you midway through a day of fishing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, temperature extremes are not good for SLA batteries. For cold weather or ice fishing you will get longer use on each trip if you keep the battery in a little styrofoam or other insulated container.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you want to save a buck, go to the NPS store in Salt Lake. They have distressed freight load 12V batteries they sell by the pound...cheap. But make sure you use their voltage tester to verify the battery is good. If it does not show voltage of 12 V, keep looking. Anything below 11v is a dud.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]