Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing ice season in style at the Gorge
I know there's a bunch on here that can't get enough ice fishing. It sounds like many of the Wasatch Front water is either melted or getting soft fast. Things are softening up out here in the Basin too, but last weekend I spoke with a friend about trying the Gorge. We're both pretty burned out on ice and are chomping to get out in the boat, but since there's no open water around here yet we decided to give the Gorge a try. He's been up there a bunch this winter, but this was my first trip up there this winter. We headed up to the Sheep Creek ramp and headed out on the lake at dawn. It was 12 degrees. The ice was solid with no sign of melting or slush. In fact the ice was nearly 18" thick and popping through the day. Anyway, we got to our spot and set up in about 65' and I hooked up an 18" pup on my first drop - while it was dropping! I ended up catching 7 pups for the morning. My friend caught 2 rainbows, 3 pups and a giant 20 lb mack! That's the way to end the ice season!

Check out the video of it all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iEeWyxCvJc

P.S. The only problem is, now I want to go back and get me one! It never ends [Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks the great video and report.

I know Roger and I couldn't be happier for him catching a great fish.
[signature]
Great video Nate. Next time, use that gas auger to drill a second hole through the ice. That way you can leave the transducer in the hole and not have to pull it out of the hole every time you land a fish.[Smile]
[signature]
Did you drive by swimbeach or lucern? If yes. Was there still a ton of ice?
[signature]
We came in from the Vernal side so no idea about Lucerne
[signature]
Roger is a great guy and a lot of fun to fish with.
[signature]
Thanks Kent. I usually don't plan to stay in one spot long enough so I only drill one hole per rod, but you're right it's a lot less frustrating having the two holes.
[signature]
[quote muirco]Did you drive by swimbeach or lucern? If yes. Was there still a ton of ice?[/quote]
YEP! Still no access to the hole of open water between Swim and Spring Creek. They're ice fishing in Linwood. Lucerne Ramp is all frozen. Whole shoreline in Swim Beach is frozen out for 200-300 yards, this all as of 3:30 pm Thursday.

Memorial Day weekend ice out![shocked][mad]
[signature]
Thanks Jim! Seems to be slowly getting closer. Any updates are much appreciated!
[signature]
[quote fishnate]Thanks Kent. I usually don't plan to stay in one spot long enough so I only drill one hole per rod, but you're right it's a lot less frustrating having the two holes.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I'm with Kent. I always drill 2 holes, side by side, regardless of how long I plan to stay in that spot. Your electric auger will handle that just fine. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Great way to end the season by the way.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][fishin][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."