Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side Planers DIY
I remember someone put a post up in years past about a set of plans to do DIY planer boards... Would you mind passing on those plans to me... I want to build a set for my pontoon, I've noticed that I have to cut big S turns when I troll so my line goes outside of the motor path to catch the catfish, when I'm trolling... I'm thinking that a set of side planers on my toon will make it so I don't have to cut such big and frequent S's. I want to do a pylon type set up, where I can run the side planer out and then drop my line down the planer line with a release on it, so when I get a fish, the line cuts free of the planer set up, so I fight the fish alone... Would appreciate it, if you don't mind passing those on... Thanks Jeff

PS... was going to just try from scratch, but I know the fine tuning would take a lot of work to get dialed in so it tracks to the side correctly...
[signature]
Let me know if you find a set and how they work. I am not a handy man unfortunately. We just purchased a set of amish big boards with cisco reels that will be mounted off of a tower in july. Same thing, would love to just fight the fish!
[signature]
I've been using my little yellow side planer off a redneck tower and love the way it works for dropping off the line when you get a fish hooked... It's just like the down riggers and a fish bite pops the line lose and then it's just you and the fish... I really think you'll like your new system... On my little toon, I'm going to have to scale things down so I don't tip over the toon, but I really think it will help me out... Congrats on your new system.. Later Jeff
[signature]
Hey Jeff, check out some of the YouTube videos for diy planner boards. I made a set last year. Catchinon and I had a successful day using them last Fall. Several volunteer kitty’s joined in for the field test. I used them again Saturday to access areas of shallow water that I couldn’t get to in my boat. Very reasonable to make.
[signature]
Thanks Ben, I'll check them out and see what I can find... Thanks... Is that what those last two cats came on? You'll have me out in the shop tomorrow night... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Yep. I couldn’t access the 4’ water that I wanted to try. My journal told me that is where I found them last year about this time. I was trolling about 3’ deep with cut carp. Action was not fast. Two hits two fish.
[signature]
Man that is really good news, I haven't ever caught the bigger fish while trolling, I think the motor noise and I usually don't fish very far behind my toon so I think I got one 28" fish, but most have been the 22-24" fish that I've got trolling... So I'm hoping this might help my chances for bigger fish while on the move... Thanks for the info... Jeff
[signature]
Dubob posted them I believe but you can do a search for them and find them. If he doesn't see this just type in DIY Side Planers, the put in Dubob's username and you should be able to find them.
[signature]
Like Curt said it was Dubob that posted the plans, I have built a set for me and a set for a friend. They work great and I would recommend them to anyone. The only time I run the in line style is if I am in someone boat that doesn't have the big boards.
[signature]
Yeah, I have learned a lot from Ben last year and I've got to say his planers worked great. I wouldn't have known they were DIY. They went out quite wide. Last week Pisco was using something that looked like big football-shaped bobbers that went out not so far but got the job done. By big I mean maybe 3" long and pretty light.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks Curt,
Roger hooked me up with a set of those plans, so now I need to decide which ones to go with. The wood ones or the aluminum designs on youtube? Anyone have experience with both types? The wood type I realize I'll have to scale down to work with a toon size, but I'm wondering if the aluminum might hold up longer and take less weathering effects... Thanks for the tips... Jeff
[signature]
I have used both aluminum (.400) and plexiglass (1/8”). Flat high density foam and pool noodles for the flotation.
[signature]
Thanks Craig, that sounds interesting, I haven't heard of the bobber type planers... sounds like a good idea... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Ben, could I ask which ones worked best and how did the costs compare... I'm thinking .400 Al sheet can't be very cheap... The ones I've seen were much thinner, like 12 ga. Seems like they might bend too easy... So maybe thicker would be better... Maybe just depends on what is easily available as scrap... Do the pool noodles hold up? I already have some of those around... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Yep, it was me. [Wink][/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Here's the link to that thread: [/size][/font][/#800000][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=415914;search_string=planer;#415914"][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Make your own planer boards[/size][/font][/#800000][/url]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]If you need more detail, PM me an email address and I'll send them to you as an attachment PDF. They are always on my boat and I run them off 2 single reel masts (one on each side of my boat). Some folks like the clip on planer boards you can get almost anywhere, but you couldn't pay me to use one of those. Leaving the boards out after hooking a fish and just playing the fish is absolutely the best way to go. [cool][/font][/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks Bob, I've got a copy of your plans and I agree that I think they are the best kind of planer boards rather than the ones that stay on your line. I guess I've used enough down riggers and gotten used to the popping off when a fish bites, so that's the kind of system I'm used to and I love fighting the fish, not the tackle... When I start the build, if I get stuck, I've got your number and I'll pester you then, if that is okay... Thank you... Jeff
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Any time Jeff.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have not had any issues with the pool noodles. As far as fighting the fish no issues there either. When the fish strikes and releases the clip the line is free flowing through a swivel on the rear bottom of the planner board. You fight the fish. Not the tackle.
[signature]
I built a set off of Bob's plans last year, and they worked fantastic. I used just one mast that plugs into the hole for the front seat of my boat at the bow, and bought 2 old penn reels to wind and unwind them to get them out. I think I cover over 100 yards of width between the 2 boards.

I also used the shower curtain clips with small scotty downrigger clips to send "down the line". I have about 30 of them so I can send out line after line, or send several on each side to cover alot of open water. It is a blast! You can see alot of videos on youtube on how to work them the best.

Wanted to thank Bob for sharing last year.
[signature]
Here is an excellent video of the planner boards. They are built similar to Bob's and shows the same shower curtain clips I use on mine.

https://youtu.be/-m40YavTnpw

Her is a similar setup for the mast I use on the front of the boat. I made mine out of 2" (It may have been 2.5") pvc with the old Penn Reels I bout on ebay. I just simply slide my mast down the tube I cut from an old seat pedestal.

https://youtu.be/9inG_R_vfUE

Good luck!
[signature]