Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wiper fun 3/27/19
Thanks Remo, Those are nice looking flies. Did you tie those or something you purchased.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
Those ones were purchased, but baitfish patterns are an easy tie.
[signature]
Where did you buy them at?
[signature]
I think I got those on eBay a few years ago before a Florida trip.

Just tie my own now that I live here and don’t have to tie size 20 stuff anymore.[laugh]
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]These are deadly.[/quote]
Bet those flys would be good at Utah lake.
[signature]
Could that fly be mimicking a leech?
[signature]
Yes, it looks like a leech in the water.
[signature]
Ok, not a fly Fisher and you did bring up crankbaits and fast trolling so I want to show my all time favorite for wippers at Willard. I used to get these at Sportsmans on Riverdale Road. But then they quit making them for some reason. It is a Cardal super spot. The bluish one with the pink around the eyes was my go to lure. But when the water warms up I troll up to 5 mph with these. I add the red treble to the lure and I must have put a new hook on my favorite after I used it last. Because it would have looked like the other red treble if not new. And you can see teeth marks on the lure. When I couldn't get the blue ones any more I used the greenish one. But it didn't have a black back like the blue one. And at first would not catch fish. I had to use a black sharpy to make the green back black before it would work. I hope that makes sense.
[signature]
I catch some walleye on it also. Usually on turns, and I have caught carp and even a Rainbow trout once at Willard with this rattle trap.
[signature]
Nice pig wipers! A blast on the fly rod! WTG!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Have you ever heard of the "Game Changer" flies. [url "http://intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying/game-changer-blane-chockletts/"]Here's a link[/url]. I have the materials and plan to make some up soon...in prime Willard sizes and colors.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, I have been playing around with "hot head" flies for a couple of years. I wanted to have something like a painted and eyed jig head on buggers...without the weight of a lead head. So I began making heads of hot melt glue. Now I can paint them in sexy glitters and colors...with great eyes. And they cast and fish like any other fly.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Attaching a writeup that shows how to make them. Also a couple of patterns that are not in the writeup that work well on Willard.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TubeDude, I love the look of those hot head jigs. You are really good at tying them! Thanks for sharing the information. I'll have to give it try.
[signature]
[#0000FF]It takes a bit of practice...and manual dexterity...to be able to turn out nice round heads...of the size you want. But after a few botches you will be able to whup some up anytime you like. And you can make them on any size and type of hook...or make different shapes. See attached pic.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I live in Taylorsville. If you would like to visit I will be happy to show you first hand how I make them. Let me know and I will PM you an address and directions.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
may find something close here are buy a blank and paint it yourself

https://www.wlure.com/
[signature]
Thanks for that site liketrolling. I had no idea you could buy blanks and paint your own.
[signature]
to do this you need a printer and learn how to use paint or something like photoshop
google making fishing lures using Water Slide Decals youtube
Photo Finishing With Waterslide Decal Paper
http://www.tackleunderground.com/communi...cal-paper/

you have a good picture I did both sides for you
[signature]
This is great news. You guys should make and try this also. Just the blue one. I wouldn't even bother with the green one. I don't remember ever getting skunked on Wippers with this. I know I probably did. "Willard can make a liar out of you."
Of course I haven't been there for 10 years. But I don't think anything had changed at Willard since then. My brother has a nice boat and wants to get to Willard. He two remembers and used this rattle trap. If I can just get him off the golf course.
I have always loved trolling. Fast trolling at Willard is how I came by my moniker:
Fast Randy.
[signature]
A lot has changed at Willard in 10 years. Besides the water level being much higher, they stopped stocking so many wipers and they started stocking walleye. That many years past I always felt I could go out and catch at least a 1/2 dozen wipers during the Summer months, the last two years I'm happy to catch one or two and even that isn't consistent but what has turned out to be very consistent is catching cats. Ten years ago the average cat was much smaller than the ones we are catching now. Spring is going to be your best chance to catch some nice wipers and eyes but every year is different so I guess we will see. Hope you find your lure still works well for you.
[signature]
I forgot about them raising the dike. I mostly ment the shad are still there. I never did catch a cat on that lure. It would be great to see those 10 and 12 pound cats come back. A guy I know showed me a bunch of pictures of limits of huge cats he would catch trolling rapalas practically on the rocks. I was spending all my spare time at Utah Lake then, and missed it at Willard. I think it lasted a few years. And then it was over. This guy was so spoiled by the big cats that he sold his boat when he couldn't get them any more. I showed him how fun the wippers are.
[signature]