Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Catfish Contest Jig-fisher
3/28/19

Willard

24"

Even though it won't last long in the overall standings, here's a little boost for the North team in the early stages of the contest.

[#00BF00]Nice job, good for 24 points and very much appreciated, you closed the gap to about 15 points left... Nice job...[/#00BF00]
[signature]
Not too bad today. Only 2 fish caught, but nice ones.

4/2/19

Bear River

28.5"

4/2/19

Bear River

[#588000]Very nice job good for 28.5 and 28 points...[/#588000]

28"
[signature]
Nice job and great fish. I’ll score them tomorrow, but both are good for the length listed. Nice job and put nort back in the lead. Later J
[signature]
The weather was iffy today with wind, rain, and at times sunny. It was the only time I had to go. Used a new bait today that I thought might work and caught 4 of the 5 fish on it. They ranged in size from 20 -28.5 inches. The big one came on cut bait. Nice upgrade fish. Just couldn't stretch it to 29.

Bear River

4/11/19

28.5 inches

[#00bf00]Nice job Paul, good for 28.5 points... and second place..[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Wow, nice job. Looks like you have jumped up to 2nd place. I know we still have some fish to be entered but the north still has an edge on us as far as I can tell. I guess we'll have to brave the weather and keep after them down here.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Bear River

4/18/2019

32"

Big daddy cat today. This is the biggest catfish I have ever caught. I have to confess that I caught it on carp instead of sucker meat. I had some fresh carp today and it was my only bite. I didn't have any sucker meat with me.

[#00bf00]Looks like the biggest fish in the contest to me, good for 32 points... Nice job!!![/#00bf00]
[signature]
I was totally gobsmacked when I saw the 32" figure and then the pictures. You guys are certainly setting a high bar up north. I'm sure the south will have some more fish on the board this weekend, but...
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Very Good Jig fisher. I been beating myself up looking for the 30+ fish. Was losing hope.

my goal is to beat Bottomwatcher's 33 incher from 2016
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
If anyone is going to do it, I bet you are going to be the one. The contest is still very early, a lot of time left and the better months are still to come.
[signature]
4/25/19

Bear River

29"

[#00bf00]Looks like it's good for 29 points...Nice job...[/#00bf00]
[signature]
5/1/19

Jordan River

30.5"

[#00bf00]Wow nice job poaching one from the south, good for 30.5 points and tied up with Ahi.... double wow...[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Very nice Jig fisher
I think that one puts us in a tie for the lead.

It's early yet. We've got good catfisher men on our tail. going to be a fun and competitive season.
[signature]
Thanks Ahi! Maybe I'll run into you sometime on the river.
[signature]
5/7/19

Bear River

29.5"

Caught on sucker meat.

I missed 2 good bites today and also got a 26.5. Both were returned to fight again.

Jeff, this is really close. When I would pinch the tail it was near 30, but letting go it wouldn't hold very still. Best picture I got. If it doesn't make it I understand.

[#00bf00]Well it looks like 29.5 to me, nice fish and way to take the lead... This is something we haven't seen much of in the last three years... Someone besides Ahi in the lead... Great accomplishment, I'll bet that will spur John on to find another big one... Congrats...[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Very good Jig fisher

was great to meet you and put a face to the name.

Sure glad you're on Team North. Looks like I may need to dust off the trophy, and get it ready to pass on this year.
[signature]
It was good to meet and talk with you as well. I think your trophy will most likely stay where it is. Yesterday was my part day to fish and I probably won't get out again until next week. I have been very lucky to get baits in front of some great fish so far this year. Last year near the end of the contest you were pulling in 92" in one day. Go team north!
[signature]
5/20/19

Bear River

30.5"

Caught on cut bait.
[#00bf00]
[/#00bf00]
[#00bf00]Wow nice fish, looks like the line up on the nose is a little under, but tail goes a little over, I think its just verily there at 30.5 points... On these contest winner fish I have to be even more critical on scoring, but it looks like this one makes the cut, nice job.... Up on top again, way to go... J[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Nice Cat. You have someone with you to take the photo? Or doing like John with a tri-pod and camera timer?
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks Forest, I wish I could have someone with me to pinch the tails, but I don't. Just using my cell phone, hoping the fish will hold still enough to get a decent picture. I took 4 pictures of the first cat yesterday with the tape because he kept moving, and then he nearly destroyed my placard. At one point it was wrapped right around his tail. I just prop my cell on my backpack and set the timer when I am holding the fish. Took 4 tries on the 2nd cat because she didn't like being held.
[signature]
Getting a good photo of a contest fish is one of the most aggravating things I have ever tried to do. Just when you think you have everything lined up perfect--flop! I think we ought to have a bloopper contest and get a good laugh out of it.
[signature]