Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hams Fork Info
Does anyone know what the runoff is like on the Hams fork? I have a buddy coming into town next week for a few days to fish. Bad timing with runoff coming, I'm trying to come up with a plan B and C if the rivers are not fishable when he arrives. Thanks for any info.
[signature]
Looks like it’s iced up currently above Via Naughton
https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/wy/nwis/...2019-04-17
I don’t think USGS still has gauges lower down. You could always call one of the sporting/fishing stores in Kemmerer. Just check the water levels at other rivers especially below reservoirs if you’re worried about runoff.
There are some early runoff free flowing streams further north in Wyoming and Idaho but it’s still April. Stump Creek and Tincup Creek across into Idaho are 2 examples but that’s more for mid May to early June before the runoff is over elsewhere.
Any reason you looking to fish in Wyoming this early? Even Seedskadee is too high to even think about wading now.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I'm not necessarily looking to fish Wyoming yet. I was just wondering if it was an option to take my buddy to if the weber or Provo where blown out with runoff when he gets here. I figured runoff was already going out there but I have never fished out there before the summer so I thought I would ask. Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.
[signature]
The flows on the entire Provo are currently good but I wouldn’t bother with the upper yet. The middle Weber is all fishable. Upper Weber too much water. Lower Weber still is low below Echo but they usually start letting 100-200 cfs of water out of the reservoir in the coming days. That typically last for a few weeks before they increase flows further. That’s the sweet spot for fishing the upper section of the lower Weber. Right now you need to fish below Lost Creek but not so far down you get too much lower elevation runoff. If flows out of Echo don’t come up a bit by the time your friend comes I’d suggest the Middle Weber and then the Provo.
If you’re going to do a several hour dive head south- it’s still April. Circle Valley Anglers is a good source for information http://www.circlevalleyanglers.com/utah-...eport.html
The owner, Emmett winters in Tucson but returns every April so the information will probable be kept up to to date for the next 6 months.
[signature]
Thanks Riverdog! I really appreciate the info. The Weber is definitely my top choice so hopefully it will cooperate until then. Thanks again!
[signature]
They cranked up the flows out of Echo Reservoir to about 200 cfs 24 hours ago as expected. It should be clearing enough to fish that upper section of the lower Weber possibly today or tomorrow. Streamers,size 8-12 nymphs, worm and egg patterns are the way to go as the bigger fishing that we’re waiting to move up to spawn and feed on eggs will be moving up now. I like tungsten beadhead nymphs as they are easy to get down low were the fish are feeding. If you still rely on an indicator this is the perfect time to drop that. It will slow you down prospecting holes and the strikes are anything but subtle. Just don’t fish with a 6-8 wt salmon rod and you’ll have plenty of sensitivity. You can catch 2-6 fish out of the bigger holes but you need to constantly move upstream once it slows.
Good Luck if you go.
[signature]