Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one way to use planer boards
This is kinda how I use planer boards. but I use a fishing pole in the front of the boat in a rod holder for a mast. the release I use is, Scotty #1182 Mini Power Grip Plus Release, Planer Board (4-Pack)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWGAKw1WiU

one thing if a lot of boats are on the water they may not see your boards and hit them.
[signature]
I was looking at running mine like that this year. I bought some extra clips when I seen them on clearance at Cabela's. My thought was to hook them on my electric down riggers but I don't know if the line would weigh the planners down.
[signature]
I have not seen boards like those before. Do you know where there are plans or info. available about them?
They look like they pull pretty hard.
[signature]
[quote PACMEN]I have not seen boards like those before. Do you know where there are plans or info. available about them?
They look like they pull pretty hard.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I was thinking the vary same thing.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have not seen boards like that either, most of the home made I have seen have two boards together.
[signature]
Last spring I made me two planer boards after reading the post on this site about them and looking at the plans. I then watched a lot of YouTube videos to see how these can be used and this is how I do it also. But admittedly I am very new at fishing like this. Last year it worked well for me though.

Here are some things that I learned and some questions I have.

I wanted a mast but didn’t want to pay for a new one. I thought about just using my downriggers and connecting those to the planer boards but I realized the planer board line needed to be high to allow the clips to slide down them. So, I took the seat off a base and then made me a mast out of 1.5 inch PVC. I put the mast in the metal base that usually has a seat and that way it connects pretty sturdy to the front of the boat. At the top of the mast it branches in both directions so it looks like I am boating with a huge cross on the front of my boat. Lol. But it seemed to do the trick.

I haven’t had much luck with the Scotty clips, or any other type. I need to be taught how to put the line in it just right so the fish will pull it out of the clip when it hits. My son just got really good at looking at the lines and knowing when a fish was on. But I would love to see how others set the fishing line in the clip.

I saw one video where the guy had multiple clips on shower curtains rings to use. That way You don’t have to retrieve the planer boards in order to get your clip back. You can leave the boards in the water and just hook up another clip to the line. Once I ran out of clips I would retrieve the board and all the clips at the end.

My biggest question is how do you get your lure at the right depth. I use these boards primarily at strawberry for kokes early in the season so I need the squid at a certain depth. What I have been doing is using the 50/50 method with some offshore weights as seen here.

https://www.offshoretackle.com/graphics/...ctions.pdf

While this has worked well for me, it does have some diSadvantages. Mainly when reeling in a Koke you have a 2 ounce weight on the line for part of the time. Early on we would lose the fish as we tried to take the snap weights off. As we got more practice we got better at this, but what methods do you use to get the lures down to the right depth when using planner boards?
[signature]
For those new to planer board fishing, you dont need a mast. It may help and make it more convenient. I made my planer boards out of redwood and all thread. Found the plan online somewhere. Worked like a charm, floated well. I used the planer board line right off the side of the 14' aluminum boat. Used shower curtain rings attached to the release. That way you fought the fish every time and not the planer board. Also made it nice to send out another release rather then bring your planer board back in each time. Very convenient and effective and hassle free. If you have a mast it would help keep tye planer board above water better but don't go stir crazy thinking you need one. My planer board line was maybe 2' above water level with minimal problems.
[signature]
I also use small alligator clips with either heat shrink tubing or the sleeve tubing over wire on the jaws of the alligator clip just to reduce wear and tear on your line. Also helps the release be smoother. Can get into a dozen releases for $10 or so.
[signature]
sounds like you have this down as good as anyone
getting the fish to release from the clip is hard if you put the line all the way back in the clip it is hard for the fish to pull it out if you put the line to far forward in the clip just the dodger will release it.

to get the line down you need to add weight like you are doing. are use a Dipsy Diver they work.
everyone misses kokanee, the squids you buy have size 4 hooks take them off and put size 2 hooks on, that will help some. also the better fishing pole you have the less fish you will miss. plus the more kokanee you catch the better you get
when the kokanee go deeper I have 4 downriggers I use. I can put 6 lines out on the
four if I want . so don't need to use planer boards.

last year Strawberry was so good only had 4 lines out, even if I had 6 people in the boat
[signature]
I tried useing my down riggers but I had the store bought bigger off shore planer boards. I attached the downrigger line to the planner board without the weight of course. It made it track all weird and they didn't go out very far. I quickly changed to an old broom stick with an abu garcia bait caster with heavy braid on it as my "mast". Then I put my rod in another pole holder and put it in the clip off the back of the boards.

Ryan
[signature]
Here's an old thread with some great info on planner boards.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...22;#824222
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if that would happen. That saves me a unsuccessful trip. I was thinking about using some of my ice fishing rods also.
[signature]
Wow Just finally was able to watch that video. I really like that way of doing it. Have you done it where you have multiple lines out on the same side? Does it really not tangle?

Actually the more I think about it with the line being further out to the planer and longer than the rest it would work. Thanks for sharing that. I'll be giving that a shot this summer.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've fished 2 lines off the planer boards on each side of the boat with no problems. I've never tried more than 2.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."