Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using corn as bait, Bait & Scent - Kokanee
It is hard on me waiting to start fishing for Kokanee, looks like it will never get here

Using corn as bait
You may now legally use or possess
corn while fishing at any waterbody in
Utah where bait is permitted.

I was at the ISE Sportsman Show two guys were selling their sent In RMT booth
one was and I really like this stuff, been using it for 3 years (super dipping sauce)
the other was called slammin Sam's.

here is a video of how to mix sent with corn,
I run Garlic scent on one side of the boat and Kokanee on the other side.
all so I mix scent in Gulp Maggots same thing garlic on one, kokanee on the other side
also they told me you could put this scent on the squids and not hurt the squid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRFBLWEu8M
[signature]
I hear you about getting up fishing. A few years back I was fishing SC on April 8th. I'm afraid it is going to be Mother's day before the ice is gone & a couple of more weeks for the sediment to settle from the high runoff. Maybe the fishing will be OK for Memorial Day!

So do you mix a batch of this corn up the night prior to going fishing? I can't imagine it lasting for very long.
[signature]
Hey Like T.....sounds like you're up and running and ready for the Kokes....fun working on gear in preparation for the soft water season....and hoping some of my glow blades work like they did last year.....I've been thinking about trying the corn, as another buddy of mine used it up at F.G. quite a bit last season also, and seemed to do alright with it....on my side of the boat, I just used the soaked/scented garlic or shrimp flavored maggots, and did just as well on the kokanee....So I'm not in a big hurry to change, although I just might try some....Guluk this season, and hope to see you on the water again....
[signature]
Im with you, can hardly wait to try some new gear and techniques. I’ve been using corn for the last couple of years with good success. I usually make up a batch with garlic scent, one with anise, and one with trout killer. I’ve also used it straight out of the can. I just picked up a couple of Oregon Tackle scent chambers that I’m excited to try. Has anyone had any experience with scent chambers.
[signature]
I have some Oregon Tackle scent chambers dont use them anymore don't seem to work. hard to get scent in them

you may try this but cost $13.

https://moneymakerfishing.com/product/mo...cent-bomb/
[signature]
Hi guys,
A couple years ago I found a guy who uses pro cure scents and cure. He informed me it was very important to make sure I used the correct kind of corn for Kokanee. (White shoepeg corn) I ordered the pro cure dye (pink) from amazon and a few scents from pro cure as well. I tried them all. Anise oil worked the best followed closely by Kokanee killer. Third was shrimp. I mixed 1 can with each scent so I had a bunch. to keep it good I froze it between outings. I found I needed to keep it on ice when I was out in the hot sun or it would spoil and smell terrible. Soon after a friend showed me Berkeley pink maggots. I compared the maggots to the corn and found I could catch 7 kokes to 10 kokes on corn more with the corn for sure but not a lot more. so I decided that the corn was not worth the work for a couple extra kokes. I can just buy the maggots, I had to spend a couple hours making the corn and had to take special care of it while in the sun 👎. Also the anise smell makes me want to vomit. So since my little study I just buy the maggots and have not looked back. I hope this helps everybody.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You can now buy the shoepeg corn already colored and scented in the same size bottle as the Berkley maggots and probably find them on the shelf along side the maggots. I bought a bottle at Angler's Den in Roy, UT but haven't looked anywhere else for that product. I don't recall the brand other than it is NOT Berkley. Cost was about the same as the maggots.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]So, no mess, no fuss. Will be trying it soon at the Gorge and Strawberry as soon as its safe to float a boat at either.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I myself have had the best luck with just opening can of shoepeg corn dumping it into my bait jar and mixing garlic powder and onion powder into it. Let sit few days in fridge.
[signature]
this may be what you bought and may be the best way to go it last longer

Pautzke Shoepeg Kokanee Fire Corn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...V0delLC3fw

I have done all three sometimes one works better than the other
but my goto is still Gulp Maggots that I mix scent in.
[signature]
I tried the pautzke on my last Strawberry ice trip(also from Anglers Den) Reviews looked good on it, so I gave it a shot. Nice that it wasn't messy or stinky. Caught 1 koke with it. It will be interesting to see how it does not ice fishing.
[signature]
I can say I never have used corn and never had a problem catching kokanee. Just caught our limit at the gorge last weekend with Berkley maggots and putting scent on my flasher. I heard corn goes bad quick, so don't plan on using it. No hard feelings to those that do though. I heard at the ise show just don't dump the all the leftover unused corn into the lake as you leave. Throw it away in the garbage. Have fun catching koks!
[signature]
I have a question regarding scents and other store bought baits, maggots and such. I have a lot of this stuff left over from last season. Do you guys buy new each season, or continue to use last season's "stuff" till it is used up/gone? Does it go bad? Loose potency?
[signature]
I don't think I have ever replaced my scents. I do run out occasionally, then buy more. Maggots I buy the gulp kind that sit in liquid, so it stays hydrated. But it lasts at least 2 to 3 years. I have seen no negative effects.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I replace it all and start fresh every season. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [cool]
[/size][/font][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]And yes, what I bought is Pautzke.[/font][/size][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Coming from a corn legal state I have used corn almost exclusively but have used the maggots as a result of fishing the Gorge many times prior to corn being legal. The maggots are great for ease and just adding scents to the jar and having different colors if you want that. I haven’t dyed corn for years, messy and didn’t add anything to catch rates IMO, seemed gear or dodger changes were more productive. Walmart has been the primary place where I’ve gotten my shoe peg corn. I get some of those small disposable plastic containers and divide the can between at least 4 containers and then scent each container with scents I want with me or leave Unscented for “scenting” while on the water if I hear x scent is working. I have frozen extra corn and used it the next year and keep the leftover in my garage fridge for the next trips. For the time on the water I have a small cooler I keep the corn and scent in while on the water once it starts getting warm. New scents are purchased every year, Kokanee feast or other krill type scent and tuna are my go to. For the tuna I use the oil from a can or foil of tuna from the store mainly but bloody tuna has also been good
[signature]
on another note i have caught 100s of kokes on a bare set up with just a bit of scent on the dodger . since going to maggots i have not really felt like i needed corn . i did try some tuna garlic at the gorge last year it worked good until it spoiled on the third day . i don't wish it on anyone to have to smell that stuff '
[signature]