Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy on Ririe
Got the dust off the boat and kokanee gear. Fishing was great! However catching was non existent [Smile]. Didn’t bring the down riggers but probably should have. Most marked fish were 40-60 ft down. We long-lined with some pop gear trailed by wedding rings and hoochies. Not even a sniff. Wind was pretty bad. Fished from Ririe all the way through the narrows. 6-7 boats out, didn’t see anyone catching anything though. Water temp 46 deg. Give it a week of 50 deg temps and the fish should become more active.
[signature]
Seems like the catching is not so great everywhere, been slow for us every trip out this year so far.
[signature]
So gave it a shot yesterday and ended up skunked on kok's. In fact, didn't get a hit until 10:30 and that's when water hit 40 degrees. Then we caught a fair share of bows. Fished all over throwing everything we had but no koks. Water temp from the launch into the narrows ended up with a high of 41 degrees. at launch water was 39 so warmed some. Had 10 boats on the water. Talked with the manager at the boat launch and he said no one was catching any koks at all. He said maybe 1 here and there but overall nothing. He even said this winter very very few koks were caught which he indicated no one could figure out why. Marked a lot of fish from 20' to 35' and then found columns of fish clear to bottom at 110'. Best of luck today as it's supposed to be sun sun sun Smile.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, have never fished Ririe, or Kokanee for that matter but am gong to give it a whirl testing out the new boat tomorrow!
[signature]
So how did you do?
[signature]
Well I found out 3 things, my boat runs pretty good, I have no clue how to get my fish finder adjusted (Lowrance Hook 7), and know less about Kokanee fishing than I thought!
[signature]
kokanee fishing is quite simple once you know what to use and figure out the depth they are at, they will start schooling once the water warms to 55-58. I like trolling dodgers or spinners with a squid behind, and some scented corn, but I usually don't bother with koks till it warms up.

I use lead line down to 25 feet , after that its downrigger time in my book

Indications are there will be fewer fish but should be larger this year.

Good luck

preferred colors change with depth, top 25 feet pink
deeper go orange, 40 plus blues, purples

[url "https://www.protroll.com/kok-all-chapters"]https://www.protroll.com/kok-all-chapters[/url]
[signature]
Sounds like I was doing the right things, the Kokes just weren't too hungry! I had a hell of a time trying to get my fish finder dialed in, think I may have came across 2 or 3 schools. I completely spaced putting my fishhawk in the boat, and couldn't figure out how to get the surface water temp to show up on the finder.

If a guy were to try going after the rainbows in there, about how big do those guys get over there, so I know what size tackle to tie on? Also if they hang out in the whole lake, or any special spots a guy could put me on to would be greatly appreciated!

I apologize for my ignorance, but as far as boat / lake fishing goes I have really only fished for Lake Trout and Salmon on the coast. Rainbows have always been a stream activity!
[signature]
At least you got out! Most rainbows will be 14-16 in. I’ve seen a few 18” but they’re few/far between. I’ve caught most near the banks. Bait or spinners seem to work best for me.
[signature]
Koke fishing is simple. LOL or not. [bobWink]
[signature]
If anyone knows how to catch Kokanee it’s you...have you tried chasing them down yet?
[signature]