Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Rainbows at Flaming Gorge
Cookie and I made our annual spring run out to Flaming George to catch some of those bruiser big rainbows that like to cruise the shoreline in the spring. Fishing was excellent with steady action on some fiesty bows. Its hard for me to say this but powerbait was king. I really stunk at getting action on gear and once again cookie really beat up on my ego with her catches - I even tried a bit of sabotage to keep the score even (see the attached video - it was fun to make the video even if the sabotage did not work).

Talked to a number of people who had some good action today, too, with similar bait and techniques.

No action on pup Lakers, and I did try. Also nothing for Smallies but its a bit early for that.

Its a great time to run out to the Gorge. Grab your own cowboy-pirate crew and get you some of the action.

I know my smoker will be smelling some kinda good once they have cured in the fridge

https://youtu.be/_ZYgNhbBssE
[signature]
Love those Gorge ‘bows. We do well with tube jigs. 2-1/2” with 1/16 to 1/8 oz. heads.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, nice looking fish!

I'm in southern Utah now and miss my occasional trips to the Gorge, especially the big bows in the spring. It's such a long drive for me now...
[signature]
I bounced a couple differnt jig configurations trying to tease up some pup Lakers but they did not appreciate my enthusiastic offerings. I have not gave up. I will unlock that system one day to get the earlier pups from the shore.
[signature]
Oh but to be closer to Lake Powell in the spring might be worth the change in location - at least until the summer crowd shows up
[signature]
We use the tubes mainly for the rainbows, but we do get quite a few pup lake trout while throwing them, along with some smallies and a rare brown. Cutthroats are showing up quite frequently also.
[signature]
Are you tipping those jigs?
[signature]
I have noticed the past couple of years that Wyoming F&G have planted a strain of Eagle Lake rainbow trout in a lot of their waters including Flaming Gorge. What you might be seeing is this strain showing up. When I use to live in Sacramento I use to fish Eagle Lake for their brute size trout. My favorite time was in mid December before the lake closed from Jan 1 to all fishing until memorial day weekend when it reopened. Eagle Lake is located near Susanville, CA which US395 north from Reno,NV will take you to Susanville. We use to catch 2-6lbers feisty & fat. If in fact this is the strain its only gonna get better in Flaming Gorge.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/...t_2018.pdf

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation...nbow-Trout
[signature]
They’ll bite it plain just fine, but a 1” piece of crawler helps them hold on or come back for a second bite if you miss. I rarely tip except in derbies or when the bite is off and you need every bit of help you can get.
[signature]
Nice fish. I need to head over before they go to the deep water.
[signature]