Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 5-3 and 5/4
Went to Flaming Gorge this Friday and Saturday and fished out of Lucerne Marina. The better half and I tried up toward the Pipeline area at about 3:00 PM. We hooked into 4 kokes trolling ranging from 12 in up to 18 in. We had the downriggers between 50 - 60 ft and a planer board with a snap weight around 30 ft. Pink still seems to be the color of choice. One on a pink squid with a pink/green dodger, one on a apex trout killer (pink/green) lure with a silver double D dodger and two on an orange and white mini squid from Kokanee Creek outfitters with a Vance's copper and pink dodger. The wind was blowing pretty good so we called it a night fairly early.

Saturday we headed out at around 8:00 AM and went up further past the Pipeline towards Anvil Draw where we hooked into another koke on the Apex lure setup, a laker pup on a Cabela's rainbow colored 7/8 oz spoon and a couple of rainbows that got off right at the boat. We were down 30 ft for the koke, 70 ft for the laker, and the bows hit at 20 and 30 ft. Left at around 11:00 to head back home.

If I may vent for a bit too, it was really frustrating to see people right on the boat ramp and courtesy dock fishing so it made it nearly impossible to launch your boat. And when I say on the boat ramp I mean literally on the concrete ramp. It really amazed me, in my opinion, how disrespectful these people were to fish where others were trying to launch and board their boat. Maybe I'm the crazy one but I try to give shore anglers as much space as possible while I'm trolling along the shore.

Anyway it was a pretty good trip to start with and hopefully even better in the next couple of weeks when the fishing tournament starts. Best of luck to all participating! May your lines be tight and your fish be large!!!
[signature]
Sounds like the rainbows are on the ramp to spawn. Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
Overall it sounds like a pretty good trip for this early....things should get better.....like in 2 weeks, I'm hoping; that's when I'll be up there.....I like my second line on a planer board also...how heavy was your snap weight to get you down to 30'? Last year I played around with those 'Jet Divers' trying to get down to the 30 and 40' off my planer board, but that was a lot of puttsing around, and not really knowing how deep it was...maybe I'll give them another try....guess I've never seen anyone fishing right off any boat ramp...that's pretty rude, and stupid...Guluk on your next outing, and tks for the report..
[signature]
Great report and nice to hear you're finding the fish... You guys are getting pretty good at it... You've come a long ways in the short time you've had the boat... Congrats... J
[signature]
I was using a 3 oz snap weight. Offshore Tackle has a chart that uses a 50/50 method (50 feet out then attach the weight and 50 feet more for the depth) along with speed and size of weight to somewhat accurately determine the depth of placing your lure. A salesperson from Fish Tech turned me on to it instead of using Dipsy Divers and the lack of downriggers. It has worked pretty good for me on the planer boards. I like to use a 7'6" trolling rod to handle the weight and pull of the planers. I've got several different sizes of weights used alone or in combination to achieve the desired depth and the cost was quite a bit cheaper than the Dipsies.
[signature]
The DWR should put a restriction on the boat ramps for the spawn! Common courtesy for the boaters and the fish![crazy]
[signature]
[quote LakeDrifter]The DWR should put a restriction on the boat ramps for the spawn! Common courtesy for the boaters and the fish![crazy][/quote]

they do have restriction but maybe the only way to keep them off the ramp and boat docks would be to give tickets, most of them are good and get out of your way
but some will not move. a lot of rainbows move in and easy to catch so it is hard to keep people away.
[signature]