Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping crawlers fresh
I read somewhere on the BFT site that if you put your nightcrawlers in salt water after a trip that it helps keep them fresh and they will not go bad in the course of a week. I hate spending money on something like a worm so when I only use a couple worms out of a dozen or two I would like to keep the rest fresh for future use. Anbody have any ideas on how to keep night crawlers, or even wax and meal worms for that matter, fresh so they will last a couple of weeks??? I keep them in the fridge which my wife loves but that only helps a little. Anybody with any ideas speak up, don't be shy, and share the wealth.
[signature]
I've never heard of keeping them in salt water. I would think that might plump them up for fishing, but damage them for the long term.

The biggest thing for preserving them is keeping them cool when you're on the water. At home just put them in the fridge. The mistake most people make is trying to feed them or adding water to their bedding. They don't need to be fed if you'll be keeping them for less than a month, and only keep the bedding slightly moist. Check them every few days and remove any dead ones. I also put them in the top of the fridge on the door which is the warmest spot. They should remain dormant.
I've keep night crawlers in those small Styrofoam containers that you buy from the store for 3 or more months or a dozen or more fishing trips on several occasions. The real trick is to buy fresh night crawlers/meal worms that haven't been sitting in the store for several months. Also always make they are at the right temperature and have the right amount of moister. If you let them site in the hot sun for and hour or let them freeze while ice fishing then they are done for.

When the weather is warmer I keep them in a small cooler with some Ice while I’m fish and then put them back in the fridge when I get home. If the soil starts to dry out only add small amount of water because it is easy to put too much in.
[signature]
All great comments. If the soil is too moist they will rot in just a few days. It shouldn't be dry, but just damp really. That hot sun will kill them in an hour or so if you're out in the summer. I try to keep them in the shade and keep the outside of the container moist. The evaporation cools them off much in the way that a creel keeps trout cool. The best way would definitely be in a cooler, but when I'm shore fishing I don't want to carry a cooler around in addition to my tackle box.
[signature]
If you have ANY question's on keeping your garden spinners alive and wiggling call Verlo Ottley 801-968-5483, he is the worm master, very interesting to go over and see his operation!! He knows worms[Wink]
MB
[signature]
I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE STYRO FLIP OVER CONTAINERS WITH A LID ON EACH SIDE FOR 5 BUCKS, AND FILLED IT WITH BROWN BEAR BEDDING THAT IS THE BEST ONE. IT HAS WORM FOOD AND ALL IN IT. I MIXED IT LIKE THE PACKAGE SAYS AND I HAVE HAD 2 DOZEN WORM LIVING COMFORTABLY IN MY FRIDGE SINCE LAST AUGUST WHEN I WENT TO FLAMING GORGE LAST. I HAVE BEEN FISHING SINCE BUT NOT USED BAIT, AND THEY ARE STILL PLUMP AND LIVELY, IT SAYS FOR THE AMOUNT I PUT IN THE STYRO BAIT BOX THAT THE BEDDING COULD SUPPORT A DOZEN WORMS FOR 6 MONTHS....I BETTER CHECK THAT BEDDING I GUESS....HA HA. ANYHOW. I LOOK AT EM ONCE A WEEK AND TAKE OUT ANY THAT LOOK LESS THAN MEATY SO THEY DONT ALL DIE I THINK THESE WORMS WILL LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE IT TO MY GARDEN THIS SPRING, COURSE I PROBALY JUST JINXED EM.

LATERS,
[signature]
i left a cup of mealworms in the fridge for 2 months and they were fine just left them in the foam cup and did nothing to them. they were in the top of the door.
[signature]
I keep worms alive for months at a time! just leave them in the styrofoam containers and in the fridge an every couple of weeks put a Tbs of used coffee grinds in with them, that keeps them nice a juicy and they stay alive for along time!!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]You put leftover fresh minnows in salt water, before you freeze them. Put crawlers in salt water and they will turn white and curl up in a few minutes.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most folks know about keeping crawlers in the refrigerator. And, there are all kinds of fancy beddings and worm food. But, one of the things I have used a lot is shredded and moistened newspaper. Not much nutritional value in it, but if it is not too wet, the worms will "chill" in it for a long time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I think one of the biggest problems with keeping worms healthy during hot days is keeping them below the "croak level". I fish a lot from a float tube and don't have room for a big cooler on my craft. Instead, I use a small insulated container (Thermos jar)...about a pint or so. This holds a couple dozen worms and some bedding for insulation.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I keep the container and lid in the refrigerator overnight. On the ones with a freezeable lid, I freeze it. Before adding the worms, I put three or four ice cubes in a stout plastic bag and rubber band it tight...to keep it from leaking. I put the worms on top of the bagged ice and head for the water. Even in the hundred plus degrees of Arizona, I still have a little ice and cool crawlers left by midday...when it's time to get off the water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You do the reverse for ice fishing. You don't need ice in the container and you may have to keep it covered in your sled to keep it from freezing on the coldest days.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I do the same thing, but I have a styro I got from the grocier that was used to ship their seafood in, I put in quality bedding refresh it every 6 months and I put in coffee grinds every so often, it keeps them lively and fat, I once tried the stuff that cabelas sold that turned then chartruse, it worked but I didnt catch many fish with them, and they looked pretty ugly. [crazy]
[signature]
That brings to mind that my Dad used to raise his meal worms himself. That was almost 50 years ago, but I still remember how he did it. He used a big plastic tub with about 4 inches of bran in it that he bought at a feed store. Once in a while he would put in potatoes sliced in half, to feed them. The worms would become pupae and then small black beetles that would also feed on the potatoes. When you wanted to go fishing, you just picked up a potato and the bottom would be covered with meal worms. That's about all there is to it, other than to keep them in a cool place. He put some grease around the top of the tub to keep the beetles from crawling out. I don't think they ever flew out, but you could keep it covered with something like a screen just in case. They multiply like the dickens, too. Of course the beetles lay the eggs, that hatch out into the larvae (mealworms), and many of the eggs are laid in the old potatoes, so don't throw out the old dried up potatoes. Nowadays I only use mealworms for ice fishing, but back then we used them a lot for all panfish including crappie and bluegill, and even bass when fished in openings between the lily pads. Fun!
[signature]
If the wife doesn't like the crawlers in the fridge, damp shreadded newspaper bedding in a styrofoam container works great. Styrofoam breathes which is good. Throw in coffee grounds and some burlap and the worms will be in heaven. Add some wet towels or raga around the container helps chill them out nicely. Even through the summer when it gets hot, if you keep the rags wet, they stay plenty cool. I have had them last for months. I also am still using meal worms from last winter that I put in the fridge. Just add a little bit of water every month or two.
[signature]