Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas or Carolina Rig?
Hello,

So, I had a fishing experience yesterday that got me thinking, and I want some input on it.

I was fishing yesterday at Walters Ferry on the Snake River here in Southwestern Idaho. I was using a Texas Rig, with a crawfish jig. It seemed to work, as I caught two decent smallmouth bass.

Then, out of curiosity, I switched my rig to a Carolina rig, to see what would happen. It caught me a one and a half pound smallmouth bass.

It got me thinking, and I want to ask the bass fishermen here a question. What do you prefer? The Texas rig or the Carolina rig?

If you want my honest opinion, each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. Depending on where I'm fishing and the time of year, I either do one or the other.

What do guys prefer? A Texas Rig or Carolina rig?

Jared
[signature]
I use a Carolina rig.
[signature]
[#0000FF]As you have already discovered for yourself, each has its applications...depending on water depth, clarity, mood of the fish, etc. There is no exact formula for when you should use either. Kind of a personal preference thing. Let the fish tell you what they want.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]And don't forget the dropshot rig. A lot of tournaments have been won with dropshotting.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
@TubeDude, you are very right. It is a matter of personal preference as well as what the fish like. I actually used a drop shot rig when I was saltwater Surf fishing in Oregon on vacation once. It was a good rig to use. Maybe I'll try using it for bass in the snake river next time I go.

I was actually just out at Walters Ferry a few minutes ago. I was using a Carolina rig with a crawdad jig. I got snagged, and I lost the jig. Then, I tried out a Texas Rig. Same thing happened.

Both rigs didn't get that many bites.

When I went to re-rig my line, I realized that was out of crawfish jigs. All I had left were bass worms lures.

So, I decided to Wacky rig it without a weight, and see what would happen. I used to do this when I fished for largemouth bass in North Idaho.

I hooked three fish, and I was able to bring two in.

So, let's also not forget the wacky rig!

Jared
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yes indeed. Wacky rigs do work well at times.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But there is still another option neither of us has mentioned. That is to rig a plastic crawdad or worm on a jig hook. That is how I started fishing plastic worms back in the early days of plastics. There were some early models on the market called "Stingers". These plastic worms came in black, blue, purple and natural worm color. They were pre-rigged on a 1/4 oz. painted lead head jig and had a stinger hook rigged in the tail. For me they were instant success and I became a plastic worm fan for life.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]These days I pour and paint all of my own jig heads and can fish any kind of plastic grub, worm or creature with a variety of jig styles and colors. I especially like the wobble heads for a lift and drop presentation.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Then there are the "shaky head" jigs with a little spring coil for twisting up into the worm and hooking it "Texsposed". Great for vertical presentations when a little finesse is needed.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am an old Idaho boy myself. And I have fished pretty much the entire length of the Snake. I have done well on the smallies by fishing jig-rigged plastics by casting upstream and letting the jig and plastic bounce down through the holding water. If you balance the weight of the jig head to fit the flow, and keep reeling to keep the lure swimming just off the bottom, you don't get many snags and when a fish hits it is memorable.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I never thought about doing that. I'll have to try it.

Jared
[signature]
Jigs are a killer bait, I use them a lot for all different kinds of fish. They can be used with all types of plastics, rigged for weedles , tied up with marabou, the possibilities are endless. I pour and paint my own, I also like the wobble jigs, they work really well on everything even through the ice.
[signature]