Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palisades Reservoir
Decided to give it a shot, even though I rarely do very well there. To our surprise it was actually a fruitful morning! Gold/orange Cleo and mustard color flickashad were to ticket. Mostly browns with a couple cuts. Check out the color on this brown![cool]
[signature]
Was out there Sunday myself, managed 1 brown out of the river channel, tried the west bank but they didn't seem too hungry over there.
[signature]
Thanks for posting. Wow, do you think it is a brown? Don't Brown's have red spots? It is strange looking.
[signature]
Not all browns have those red spots, a lot of them look just like the fish Ironrod posted. When I was younger, 40 to 50 years ago, I always called the ones with the red spots German browns and the rest just browns, not sure if it is a male vs female thing but that fish looks like a brown to me.
[signature]
We were up there Saturday as well...I don't think we did as well as ironrod, but we managed to boat a few. Here is the only brown we caught that day...it was also very pale looking.

I have always called these Brown trout even though they don't have the deep markings you find elsewhere.

For what it is worth I think all of the trout that I've been witness to in PaliSades, no matter what species, are more pale/drab than fish I've caught elsewhere.
[signature]
Ours were pretty pale as well. I never thought much of it till I read the replies on this post!
[signature]
I haven't fished PaliSades much, but I fished the river below the dam to Heise and caught normal looking Brown's with red spots. I grew up calling them German Browns.
[signature]
Yes, the fish below the dam are much more colorful. Here are a few I caught one day on the river below at about the same time of year. Much rather catch the fish on the river...better fight and more colorful.
[signature]
Beautiful fish 300!
[signature]