Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I GOT A MOTOR!!!!!! NEED INFO....
I PICKED UP A 47' CHAMPION 7.5 HORSE OUTBOARD WITH ATTACHED GAS TANK FORM ADDICTED2FISHIN THIS WEEKEND. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO OVERHAUL/CLEANUP A MOTOR SO I CAN TRY IT OUT....I THINK IT MAY EVEN FIT ON MY FLOAT TUBE....THAT WOULD ROCK TILL I FIND THAT 14 FOOT DREAM I AM CHASING. OF COURSE ILL TEST IT FIRST IN A POOL OR SOMETHING......ANYHOW. I NEED INFO ON HOW TO CLEAN AND SUMMERIZE IT. ANYHELP IS APPRECIATED, THANKS.

LATERS,
[signature]
BadFish,

Check the local libraries for a repair manual about that motor that you can check out or look at for free. That will get you a long ways if you can find one.

m
[signature]
Drop danzilla a PM. He is the motor guru around here. He has been willing to help members in the past for a fee/trade. Good luck with the new motor.
[signature]
First thing is dump the gas and replace with new premium (premium has more cleansing additives and burns hotter). Replace plugs with new. Immerse in water or add muffs with hose attachment and fire it up. Add a fuel additive like Sea Foam to clean out the carbs, remove carbon deposits and any varnish. Using 100% synthetic oil is also recommended to clean out the carbon deposits from the cylinders and pistons.

It may run great doing nothing more than the above. If it still doesn't run well you may need to overhaul the carbs. Talk to Danzilla. A well cared-for 2-stroke will last for years. So before taking it to a mechanic, try some simple things first.

Good luck.
KEWL!!! welcome to the motorized world of fishing. if that motor was ran last season it should be ok but I'm make sure of your water pump first. I'd also check the compression as well just so you have an idea of what you have.

let me know if you need any help with anything. those old motors will run forever with a little care.

people are using the excuse that 4 stroke engines last longer than 2 strokers but I'll argue that for my dying days. they do run longer on a motorcycle or a snowblower or something that has alot more heat than an out board but show me a 4 stroke engine that was built in early 40's that still runs as good as a 2stroke.

I'll agree that 4 strokes run more efficent and clean, but a well tuned running 2 stroke will still run very clean. all too often people mix their fuel too rich (as long as they dont foul plugs they think its ok) and they end up with unburned oil running down the exhast into the water. Your spark plugs will tell you the complete story on what your mixture should be. I had an older merc that would foul plugs repeditly until I leaned the fuel up to 80:1 ( I dont recomend anybody to do this) but it took about 5 gallons at that mixture to burn all the oil out that had built up over the years. after that it settled down to 50:1 and still runs good to this day, (just ask wiperhunter).

DZ
[signature]