Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 5/11
I fished the stream just north of Lindon marina on Saturday. The banks were already filled with people pulling up 8 inch white bass on curly tails. Fished for about an hour and kept some of the bigger white bass. Decided to switch to cats off the Lindon dikes using white bass cutbait. No cats but I could tell the white bass were pecking at my cutbait. I threw the same curly tail and caught a bunch more small white bass 5 feet from shore. Great way to try and kill time waiting for the cats to bite.

After about an hour of that and no cats to show for it, I decided to check out Provo harbor. No white bass in the river, but lots of people fishing at the inlet. I set up shop on the dike, again soaking cutbait. Caught a few more white bass while waiting for the cats and finally got into one right before I left.
Congrats on finally catching a catfish. We saw lots of folks fishing for white bass, around the dike where the Provo River enters Utah Lake. We saw them catch a few but it definitely wasn't hot catching.
[signature]
Nice report, it sounds like a fun day... Jeff
[signature]
Last year they were catching white bass thick and fast in the river by May 10. Is it colder this year than last?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

it seems that there are lots of white bass in the 7-8" range this year. You get one 10" fish for every 10 seven incher.
[signature]
I think it may still be a tad bit cold, but they are all moving up. Most seem to be males as they were milting, and I didn't see many that looked like they were full of eggs. Either this years batch is smaller for some reason, or the bigger ones are waiting for a higher temp before moving up.
[signature]
[quote catchinon]

Last year they were catching white bass thick and fast in the river by May 10. Is it colder this year than last?

[/quote]

With all of the storms it has undoubtedly been cooler this year. Also, with the higher runoff the rivers are also cooler.
[signature]