Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
22in 4.2 lb trout
Just caught this today. Caught it at Wilson Springs here in Nampa Idaho. As you can see from the picture, I caught David and Goliath!

Jared
[signature]
Nice
[signature]
Nice fish, but, the head sure looks out of proportion with it's body. Anyone else think that? If so what would cause that to happen? Lack of food? Coming out of winter? Etc. Just curious.
[signature]
IMO, it is a brood stock fish, that was at the end of it useful life expectancy. The F & G typically dump these older fish, after so many years of using them. The bigger head would indicate it is an older fish but fish can not grow to their full size when they are in a small containment area, so that might be one reason for the out of proportion head and body.
[signature]
My guess is optical illusion (or wide angle lens effect). These camera phones have the equivalent of a wide angle lens. His hand looks out of proportion to the rest of his arm -- however, in exact proportion to the fish....
[signature]
That fish looks like any typical trout that has come through a rough winter in a stream that ices up. It probably didn't get very many good meals all winter long and is long and thin as a result. I have seen many browns like this over the years and even some cutts and bows. Most of them came out of streams that were pretty icy through the winter.
[signature]
Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it. I guess we honestly don't know. From what you guys are saying, it could be a brooder fish, a trout that had a rough winter, or could be a camera lense effect. It could be anything.

Here are some more details about the fish and Its Behavior that might help narrow it down.

I was fishing, and Idaho Fish and Game showed up with a whole bunch of fishing poles. It turns out that there were a bunch of kids going on a field trip to Wilson Springs after going to the Hatchery close to Wilson Springs. Right when they arrived, I caught the first fish, the small rainbow trout. Then, the kids, and the adults all spotted the giant trout. Everybody was trying to get the trout, but it would not bite. It could see us, and we could see it. Maybe that's why it wasn't biting. It was a very smart trout.

I had my fly pole that day, and I was working on getting the fish myself. It was basically the kids, all the adults, and I all in a contest to catch this big fish. I put my fly down, and the fish swam by it. The fly accidentally bumped the side of the fish.

I immediately thought to myself, "Darn, I scared him away."

Then, the fish turned around after it was bumped, and immediately bit my fly. It's like the fish was mad at the fly for bumping him.

Then, I hooked him, and he put up a decent fight. I was able to bring him to shore, and all the kids were watching seeing that I got him. I tried grabbing him, but I couldn't with my Fly pole in my hand. He was fighting too hard. Then, a guy there volunteered to hold my pole while I was grabbing the fish.

I was able to grab the fish, and to be honest, the camera was not lying. His head was unusually big. I got the picture, then I went home with the two fish.

I don't know if this helps with the size of the Trout's head, but I still thought I would share it.

Jared
[signature]