Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video fishing
Howdy. I was told that some people here have underwater viewing systems (Aqua-vu, Atlantis, etc).

I'd like to know if you've used your system to tape underwater footage and what the results have been.

I've been taping for a couple of years now.

3 months 'til fishing opener here! (Minnesota)
[signature]
Have one -- no taping.
[signature]
[size 1]Had one -- no taping.[/size]
Welcome to the Utah boards Odin. I read that you could tape from the underwater systems, but I have never used one. A lot of the lakes around here get pretty murky in the fall and would make for tough viewing, but in the spring and summer, I would imagine that you would be able to see a fair distance..

Do you just tape when you are jigging/casting, or do you have a system for taping while under power?

What kind of distance do you actually get? I know that it depends on the water clarity and such, I am just looking at an average distance for the time that you have used it.

Hope you don't mind the questions, I would love to have one, but it doesn't fit the budget quite yet. Thanks for any response.
[signature]
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the welcome. The two lakes where I do most of my taping have Spring secchi disk readings of about 20 feet. I usually tape on the edge of the weedline, about 24 feet down and visibility in the early Summer is about 7-12 feet, depending on time of day and cloudiness. By August, even my clearest lakes are too murky to tape much. Winter is supposed to be a prime time for clarity, but I haven't checked that out yet.

I've taped on less clear lakes through July with passable results, so I've found I don't need pristine clarity for good taping.

I made a rig using a piece of coathanger wire and a downrigger release that allows me to suspend a sucker minnow on a jig or weighted Lindyrig about a foot in front of the camera. When the fish hits, the line releases (ideally) and I set the hook. I've got about 150-175 pike hits on tape. (I like pike cuz they hit so violently, although I've got some bass, walleye, and bullhead hits on tape too.)

I can't tape under motor power because the camera vibrates too much and makes the footage unwatchable. I've tried downriggers but it hasn't helped much. My favorite method is drifting outside the weedline with the camera a couple of inches off the bottom. It's cool watching the underwater scenery glide by and the minnow going crazy as a pike closes in.

I have some video stills taken from my footage here if you'd like to check them out:

<a href="http://www.invominnesota.com/phpBB2/album_personal.php?user_id=119">pics</a>
[signature]
Awesome pictures, that would be a blast to sit and watch as those big suckers come in and nail the bait fish. Thanks for the pics.
[signature]
Welcome Odin - I've done some taping with an Aqua-Vu. It's pretty cool to be able to take home for further viewing some of the action you've had. A couple of weeks ago we got on tape a great stare down between a big perch and a rainbow at Rockport. They would sneak up from opposite sides toward the jig, and then spook off in different directions. The rainbow finally got brave enough, and quick enough to just steal that Rat Finkee away. Pretty fun for the family at home to see how they swim around down there, and bite the lure.

I have a digital 8 Sony video camera. All you have to do is connect the camera to the back of the Aqua-Vu with the single jack video (yellow) line, and you're all set. Put it on VIDEO instead of CAMERA, and push record.

<'{{{{{><
[signature]
[#000080]>> [size 1]It's cool watching the underwater scenery glide by and the minnow [/size][size 1]going crazy as a pike closes in.[/size][/#000080]

You must not be from UT. Fishing with live minnows is illegal.
How much does one of these systems cost? Not neccessarily the taping, but an underwater camera...
[signature]
Hey Uinta Ice,

Does your Aqua-vu have the red-and-green lights? I tried one with those and got a background of tiny horizontal static lines that were distracting. Have you noticed that with yours?

The original Aqua-vus had only white lights that produce a background that looks like fog, which is why I
prefer them, although the clarity isn't as good.

I'm trying to find an underwater system with both good background and clarity. Do you have that? Have you posted any underwater pics I could look at?
[signature]
$300 to $400 is the range I've seen, although I bought my last two Aqua-vus used for $150 apiece, one from a
sporting goods shop salesman and the other from a baitshop owner.

The baitshop owner was renting his out. You might be able to find a similar rental somewhere.
[signature]
[size 3]I was at Bear Lake today, there were two guys working on their undergraduates studies on the spawning of White fish. They had an under water camera and were using it to document and count the White Fish over the rock pile. They filmed about 10 minutes in the hole while I talked to them and they let me take a peek I watched a lot of White Fish swim by along with some large Cutts or Macs. They borrowed my pole that was set up with a pink Rat Finki. The fish would swim over to it and hit it; you could tell the hook was too big. I put a smaller hook on and started catching White Fish. They tape the reaction of the fish to the jig for only a few minutes. I was fishing in 50 ft of water and you could see about 5 ft on the bottom.[/size]
[signature]
It does have the red/green lighting, with an off/on option switch as well. No disruptive picture at all. Just a real nice view!
[signature]
Hey Uinta Ice!

Great! Couldja tell me what model Aqua-vu you have?

And your camcorder model? I've used the Sony TRV350
and am now using Sony's TRV530. Are you using one of these?

I use an iMac to edit video. Are you editing the footage you tape, too?

TIA
[signature]
It's the new PRO ICE SYSTEM. Works terrifically. And yes, I do have a Sony digital 8 video camera. I've been using iMovie and Final Cut Pro to edit all kinds of videos for years. It's addictive!
[signature]
Great pictures Odin! Thanks for the input and for bringing up the subject. It looks like it is starting to be a how-to for underwater video work. Very helpful for those of us who haven't bought yet.
[signature]
Think about renting one. They're not that badly priced, and for the insight they give into how the fish inhale the lure, swat at it with their tails, come up on the bait instead of pulling back with it . . . It's amazing the different ways they approach and take, and how often even the softest wire bobber won't show visually what you're seeing on the Aqua-Vu! It's a great learning tool.

<'{{{{{><
[signature]
The only problem with that is it's kinda hard to run out to Hooked to rent one from Roosevelt and then come all the way back out to go to the Gorge or Starvation where I normally fish. There is only one larger sports shop out here and they don't rent them. I know that the warehouse something or other rents them too, but why do that when we have HFT? I wonder if James is ready to open a store out this way??? I can dream can't I? I wonder what his weekly fees are? Hello... James... Are you out there?
[signature]