Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach report 5/20/19
Yesterday seemed to have the best weather forecast of any until Saturday so I headed out to Lincoln to try my luck for channel cats. I arrived at 3:00 on the dot and soon had two lines in the water, one with a white bass head and the other with shrimp and worm. I was trying to juggle the two lines for position and, like a doofus, got them all tangled. By the time I got all untangled it was 3:30 when I really started fishing. At 3:36 I got my first action on my bobber and soon landed a bullhead on the shrimp/worm combo. That chased the skunk away. After quite a while and a change from the head to a section out of the middle of the bass my other bobber took off smartly and I knew it was no mudcat that had ahold of the bait. I let it run a bit as I tightened up the line so the circle hook could do its trick. When I first felt the fish it seem to be just any old catfish. But then it began to pull like a runaway draft horse. It didn't take long for it to decide that was no fun and he launched into the air like a spawning salmon fighting his way upstream or Rin-Tin-Tin leaping across a gorge. He was huge. Then my line went slack. He had thrown the hook as easy as could be. Dang, that would have been a score bumper for sure![crazy] After that I had a few more bullheads pull my large baits around but didn't have to land any. I stuck it out until 7 but since it was so slow I decided I would head home so I could return my overdue library books (pretty exciting, hunh?) and get something else to read. Have to do something through the next few rainy days. Speaking of which, I had thought earlier I should quit whining to myself about the weather, get on some good rain clothes and just go fishing anyway. After all, commercial fishermen don't wait for dry conditions to go out. We'll see.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Rain is fine, but don't tempt lightning.
[signature]
Rainy day is a good time to bank tangle, plant your pole in a good secure holder, put the line out, make sure the drag is set just right, then jump back in your truck, watch the pole and the rain, pour some coffee, or what ever other drink you prefer, maybe even listen to your radio. [Wink]

I know that tactic works well, cuz I've watched a pro Cat Contest winner do it for a couple years now............and it worked pretty well for me at Bear River last weekend.

[fishon]
[signature]
Hopefully you didn’t fall on your duffer this trip... sorry you lost what could have have been. I took Tyler my 8 yr old to Salem pond and in 15 minutes caught 3 trout but turned 3rd one back as limit is only 2. Caught last one reeling in to leave so it was a surprise catch. But that is the only fishing I’ve done. I hope to get out as soon as I can.
[signature]
That's a striking thought!
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nancy, I envy you all for being able to do that up there on the Bear. But I usually fish on the north dike here at Lincoln Beach (you saw it when you came to the Flotilla) and the Powers That Be frown on driving out onto it (don't ask me how I know). I could try another beach farther around the lake that has access right into the water, but I haven't had any luck there. Maybe I should try again. Thanks for making me think of it.

Wait a minute! Maybe I could drive up there and fish where you guys do. I'm sure you guys and John will be happy to share all your hotspots with me [cool][angelic].
[signature]