Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There’s a few still in there
[Smile] my daughter called me at work and asked if we could hit the reservoir for a few hours-
Only boat on the water, took us a while to find a few small schools and the fish decided to cooperate! Landed 14, kept 12 kokes. We must have landed 40 bows -maybe more. All on Kokanee rigs. Best depth was 20ft. Best overall rig was an orange hoochie tipped with green power bait maggots. Speed was 1.8 mph. Water temp at that depth right at 50 degrees. We had a blast, we had 3 doubles too[cool]!
I think their diet may be lacking...only 4 of them had the deep orange/red meat (like they normally all do). The other 8 were lighter orange.
Definitely lower numbers but there’s a few around- good luck!
[signature]
Looks like a great trip.
[signature]
Nice report and pic, looks like you two got into them really good, especially the bows. Those kokes look like some decent sized fish, were the bows the same size?
[signature]
Thanks! Yes good size kokes, a few bows were that size but most a little smaller
[signature]
Awesome... thanks for sharing!!!
[signature]
Ironrod,
First, congrats on some nice kokanee! No, they are not anemic. The Fish and Game had a shortage of "early spawning" kokanee , and had to replace them with "late spawning" fish, normally only planted in northern Idaho. In addition to their spawning times, the fish can be identified by the color of their flesh. There is no difference in taste, although a lot of people associate better taste with redder meat. One advantage is that they will provide fishing for a longer period in the fall!! Mike
[signature]
Sweet, thx for the explanation...and wow we’re they delicious!!
[signature]
While it will be nice to have the later spawning fish come August, I wonder how their survival compares to the earlier spawning fish when planted in Ririe.
[signature]
Hit Ririe yesterday for the first time in about a month. Awesome day weather wise. Limited on trout, they are sitting right on top and actually had a couple decent size fish about 16". I didn't catch any kokes, but, I did talk to a couple boats who were and they were using downriggers to get down 30-45 ft. One boat had 9 when I talked to them, but, I forgot to ask what they were catching them on. A couple other boats were catching some also, but didn't have that many. So, I guess they are done playing hide n seek. Water was sitting at 55 and a full reservoir. I counted right at 20 boats, 17 sitting in parking lot at Juniper and I know of at least 3 or possible more came down from Blacktail. Good luck and be safe out there.
[signature]