Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Provo report: jigging for browns
TL;DR: Spinners are not working on the Lower Provo right now with water so high and fast. I tried jigging and had some success despite really difficult water conditions.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I fished the lower Provo with a variety of spinners. With all the rain, the river is quite a bit higher and faster than usual, even for spring runoff conditions. I caught one small brown on a woolley bugger in a pond near the mouth of the canyon, and that was it. Nary a bite anywhere on the main river no matter what we tried. A bit of a frustrating trip.
I theorized that the colder water and high, stained, fast flows were making the fish much less likely to chase after a spinner, even if they could see it. We tried a lot of sizes and colors, trying to find one that would draw a strike, but just weren't having any luck.

After a lot of reading, I decided to try something I've never really done, which is jig fishing for trout. In the kind of water conditions I think I can expect on the lower Provo for the next month at least, spinner fishing is unlikely to be very productive. Jig fishing has a few advantages, particularly in fast, high, stained water:

1. Jigs are cheap. I can cast them into risky situations to place them in heavy cover or other likely trout hideouts because if I snag and lose it, I'm out a few cents instead of $4 for a new spinner or more for a Rapala.
2. Jigs seem to play more into the "food" instinct than just the "aggression" instinct of the trout. Tube jigs look like bugs or invertebrates that the trout are likely feeding on. Aggression seems to be relatively low this time of year, and when water is this fast. Trout seem to prefer holding behind cover and letting things come to them, and jigs fit this bill quite well.
3. Jigs can be much more effectively fished downstream. It's not terribly difficult to drift a jig down into an eddy or pool, but I can also use quartering casts, or a slow retrieve with a lot of sinking and hopping action coming upstream. Spinners tend to skip across the surface when retrieved against the current, especially when it's this fast.

The theory seemed good, so I have had a couple of outings to really see if I can make these jigs work for me. The Lower Provo has traditionally been a harsh mistress, I get skunked more often than not regardless of water conditions, and even after having fished it 30+ times I still feel like I haven't found anything that consistently produces bites.

The first trip was a few days ago. I went down shortly after a shower, hoping to interest trout that were probably feeding on bugs and worms washed into the water by the rain. I was using my 5'6" UL rod and 4lb mono. I got no attention with a 1/16 oz black marabou jig, or a pearl curly tail with black flecks, so I tried brown and black tube jigs with a 1/32 oz leadhead inside. I'd cast quartering upstream, then try to swing them into a feeding lane at the head of a pool or eddy downstream, then use a slow and bouncing retrieve to keep the jig in front of any fish as long as possible. I got some hits but didn't manage to hook anything. The trout seemed to like the black tube jig best. I had to stop fishing because I took the "jigs are cheap" thing to heart a little too much and snagged up so many times that I actually ran out of line on my reel from cutting it and retying.

I went back today with my 6'6" UL rod and 4lb mono, determined to be a little less reckless casting into places where I would obviously lose a jig. It was raining and the water level was nearly as swift and high as I've ever seen it. This time the brown tube jig seemed to be the ticket, although the black marabou also got some nibbles. After a lot of bites I hooked a really pretty brown with great markings and a golden belly, maybe the best looking brown I've ever caught. He took the brown tube as I was slowly retrieving it upstream, with some subtle jigging along the edge of an eddy. After a quick picture he went back into the drink.

Out of curiosity, I tried tying on a gold 1/4 oz vibrax spinner and casting at some fish I saw rising near some submerged downed trees, and got zero interest. I couldn't cast a 1/32 oz jig far enough to reach the area unfortunately.

All in all, despite only landing a single fish, I think I am convinced of the effectiveness of jigging for trout, particularly when conditions make spinner fishing a bad option. I still have a lot to learn about this river, how to read the water and locate places with a high likelihood of holding a trout, etc. But it feels good to have confidence in another option when standard hardware isn't getting the job done.

If anyone has any tips or rigs to recommend for jig fising on the Lower Provo, I'd love to hear.
[signature]
Pretty fish. Looks just like one my brother caught in the slow(er) water by Canyon View Park on Saturday. What part of the Lower do you fish? I used to fish there fairly often and found that bait worked the best for me, worms, and grasshoppers in season. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

In the Winter, when open water is limited, and everyone who doesn't drill holes in the ice, flocks to the rivers with thier flyrod, I switch over from my fly rod to my ultralight spinning and jigs just as you describe. My theory is these waters: Provo, Weber, Blacksmith, Logan, ext get pounded with Nymphs, and flys, cause it works and its a hoot, but I want to toss them an option when its get crowded and the waters are low.

I have had some great days doing this. My goto happens to be small size curly tails as I like the action, but will use tubes and have had great action on hair jigs. I will often jig, like i was ice fishing, around rocks and bank cutouts and get a hidden brown to charge out for the take down as well as work the holes and eddies as you describe.

Often I get "short" bites this way, that wont hook up. To improve my odds, if this occurs, I will trim back the curly tail or skirt. Ya I know that limits action of the jig, but it can help short bite syndrome.

Last suggestion, if you ARE NOT in an artificial lure only zone, tip with a worm or meal worm. Your catch rate will go up quickly.

I posted a rather poor quality video about this on YouTube this winter for some friends who did not believe it would work. It does.

Oddly enough, even though fishing Whitefish rich areas this way, I have yet to hook up with one while stream jigging. I am sure others have, but I, so far, have only got trout with this stream method. Seems whities and me only meet when tossing small nymphs.

Keep at it, you will find it fun and successful and another tool to use for those browns.
[signature]
[#0000ff]You are singing my song. I have fished the Provo since the early 1960s. In those days it was legal to use bait and there were no size or slot restrictions. There were fewer fish but more big healthy ones.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I pretty much quit fishing the Provo after the Orvis dorks took it over and the overly protective regs were put in place. However, if you are after quantity...of runt fish...it is still a great water. Just for old time's sake I have stopped on my way back from Starvation or Deer Creek a few times to fish some of my old spots. And I can verify that jigs and sunken flies still produce well.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even though it was legal to use bait in the olden days, I always did better with flies or marabou jigs. I tie my own of both genres. Fished the area above and below the Heber Creeper trestle almost every evening during the summer...and did not have to time my casts between inner tubes.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most evenings produced well into double digits in numbers. Mostly browns...the smallest about 13 inches and the average closer to 18 inches...with at least a couple over 20 inches on every trip. More than a few over 5#. My biggest was a 33" 14# beautiful female brown...on a size 12 peacock scud of my own design...fished "bottom bouncer" style. More on that in the attached PDF file.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While I initially fished a lot of size 6 marabous on 1/16 oz. heads...blacks, browns and olives...I later included some small tubes and twisters. Most caught fish if properly presented. My number one son once caught the biggest brown of the day on a chartreuse twister he had left on his line after a previous trip to Willard for crappies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the early 1960s I was a college transplant from California. While surf fishing there for surf perch and corbina I began fishing flies above a sinker. I would cast them out into the surging water and keep a tight line as the waves washed the flies around. That rig kept the flies just off the bottom and they were eagerly intercepted by feeding fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When introduced to the Provo River by a fly tying and fly fishing employee of the old Innes Sporting
Goods in Provo, I fell in love with that stream. After a few trips of mediocre catching on fly rods, I reasoned that sinking flies on spinning tackle might be a better way to fish some of the deeper and faster fish-holding runs on the Provo. So I experimented with various ways of rigging.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished streamers with a sinker above the fly and cast quartering downstream or worked them next to brushy overhangs along the bank. They worked. But once I started using my "bottom bouncer" rigs, and casting upstream, it was gangbusters.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That rig worked well and I introduced it to quite a few other tanglers along the Provo. I moved back to California after college, but found myself back in Utah in the late 70s...for business. Imagine my surprise to find both spin fishermen and fly fishermen all using the "Provo River Bounce" rigs. And even more amusing was the number of anglers who claimed to have invented it. No problem.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the years since, I have employed this system on many waters...for many species. It still works. The main variables are the size and type of flies, the amount and placement of the weights and the method of presentation. Once you get the right combo you can usually do very well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is an excerpt from my larger writeup on "Spinning Flies". I have also included a picture from the days when my hair was darker. I am holding an "average" sized brown...taken on a bottom bounced peacock nymph...fished with my 9 foot converted fly rod.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As you can tell by my name on this site, I love to fish jigs. The picture of the big brown trout under my name was caught on a jig on the Weber. I am partial to plastics, large ones that mimic baitfish in the rivers around here. But I also fish maribou jigs in earth tones quite a bit and have great success. I like to use jigs everywhere I can and have had super days.

Here's a picture of a 25" brown caught on the Weber on a jig.
[signature]
Fantastic info from all, thank you.

Think the dropper rig you use with flies would work as well with small jigs? I have a few flies and I can always tie more, but I figure I have one fishing trip left before my wife and I move into our new house, and zero time to tie flies until after we're settled in Smile
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yes. If you have some small 1/32 oz. jigs, put them on a six inch dropper...about 12 to 14 inches above a split shot. Try varying the distance until you find the magic length. Black usually works but something with peacock is often better. And even chartreuse can work well when there is some color in the water.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In the fast runoff water look for the fish right in the seam between faster flow and slower...or even in swirling eddies next to heavy flows.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Besides browns, I have caught some girthy rainbows and plenty of alligator whitefish too. The key is to keep your stuff near the bottom...with a tight line...to feel any takers. And if you are bouncing downstream you won't need any "indies" (indicator/bobbers). You will know when your offerings have been accepted.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By the way, I have also done well on size 12 to 16 renegade dries...fished bouncer style. Silly fish sometimes don't seem to notice they are not an aquatic thing. And that combo of peacock, tan and white is a good one for most trout.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I was gobsmacked to learn that there are whitefish in the Provo [shocked]. I thought I would have to travel to the Weber to add them to my species-caught list. Can you tell me more about where and how to fish them in the Provo?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]I have always caught the most whitefish above the Heber Creeper trestle. There are several nice deep runs that hold a lot of fish. There is a turnoff and parking area above the tracks there. You park and go down across the tracks and find your way to the river.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I mostly fish the northerly side. Easiest to access and the best fishing is by casting quartering upstream and across to the deeper parts of the runs. I haven't really worked that area for a few years...since before they put in the paved Orvis dork access and parking. But in past times the big whitefish provided good sport...in between browns and a few bows.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Whitefish and salmon flies are like mine canaries. They are an indicator of the fishy health of a water. If the salmon flies and whitefish disappear you got a problem in that section of stream. Going back to the sixties, there were salmon flies there...and a lot more whitefish. From what I hear there are no more salmon flies and the whitefish are fewer...but some still there.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Whitefish feed mainly on small invertebrates...like scuds, shrimp, sowbugs, etc. Small dark patterns or even yellow or chartreuse will catch them. If all else fails, just tie on a couple of hare's ears or prince nymphs and keep running them down the current. And, again, even a renegade dry will work wonders at times when fished near the bottom.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I can attest that some of the whitefish in the Provo get some size to them. Lost count of the ones that might push 3 pounds.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I don't fish the Provo much, and not for a long time, but when I have tried, I've caught more whitefish than trout (and for me that isn't really a good thing). Probably because I was using a chamois caddis fly instead of the regular trout catchers.

For me, cacthing a whitefish is more like reeling in a wet towel. They lose their fight real quick.
[signature]
Great info, thank you!

I will need to tie up a bunch of nymphs that use peacock herl, sounds like.
[signature]
The wife and I are moving into our house tonight. I'll finally have a dedicated space for doing "man stuff" like reloading, fly tying, etc. etc.

Going to definitely tie up several Pheasant Tails in size 16 or 18. Probably some Copper Johns or other stoneflies as well since the skwala sightings are picking up. Anyone else have any go-to patterns that do well fished on spinning gear on the Lower Provo?
[signature]