Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Sided minnows
Anyone know where I can catch some red sided minnows ?Somewhere not too north would be good.
[signature]
I believe I got some at Electric Lake. "Not too far North" doesn't mean much when I don't know your location Wink

Check the regs. IIRC, it's no legal to catch live minnows in one body of water and fish them in another, at least in some places in Utah.
[signature]
You are correct that it is illegal to use live minnows from one body anywhere, even where caught. Dead redside shiners may be used anywhere bait is legal though. From the Guidebook:

While you are fishing, it is unlawful to:
•Use or possess live baitfish

•Dead mountain sucker, white sucker,
Utah sucker, redside shiner, speckled
dace, mottled sculpin, fathead minnow (all color variants, including
rosy red minnows), Utah chub and
common carp may be used as bait in
any water where bait is permitted.
[signature]
I live in Payson not sure if electric lake has thawed out yet I usually get them there.
[signature]
That's a no on is electric lake still is mostly iced over. That was on wed. while it was snowing.
[signature]
I know, very Sad indeed.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Red-sided shiners are not nearly as prevalent as chubs or fathead minnows. Other than Electric Lake the only two other places I know of to catch them are 1. Twin Lakes...above Brighton...in Big Cottonwood Canyon. and 2. Scofield Reservoir. However the population has been greatly reduced by the recent introductions of more aggressive predators. I did catch a few in a cast net a couple of years ago, when throwing in the shallows around the docks.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Strawberry also used to have a lot of red-sides. But with the heavy plantings of cutts and the new slot restrictions the redsides were the first casualty of the Strawberry ecology. Haven't heard of any there for several years.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]My personal experience is that red-sides are best if used fresh dead...in the waters from which they were taken. Because they almost always turn soft when frozen they do not stay on the hook as well and do not seem to be as effective for most fish as chubs.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]And, although fatheads also work well in the waters in which they abound, they are good when fresh. But like the red-sides they are not as good after being frozen and in waters where they are not a natural food item.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Even carp minnows are often better than either redsides or fatheads.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]

[#0000ff]Twin Lakes...above Brighton...in Big Cottonwood Canyon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff][/quote]

I was going to mention Twin Lakes Reservoir... last time I was there (late June 2017) they were everywhere along the shorelines. Caught a few looking for Brookies.

Tough "up & back" for bait though. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks Pat I totally forgot about the fat head minnows . I always keep the minnows frozen when I go fishing because like you said they turn mushy. Chubs I can easily get and i have always had good luck with the Red sided minnows. It's been awhile since I done some serious fishing.
[signature]
Friend of mine trapped some in a creek/ditch last year. We fished them fresh the next day in Utah Lake and caught some cats.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Saw them at Trial lake like 5 years ago. They were biting even.
[signature]
Cesar,
Your best bet is to wait a short while to catch them at Electric Lake. The other places mentioned (other than the unidentified small stream) will be frozen longer than Electric Lake.
[signature]
That's what I was thinking too I need to go up and fish E lake once it thaws out anyway . Guess I will stick to my clubs for how.
[signature]
Who knows, you might get lucky and find your minnow trap(s?) that your kids lost up there many, many moons ago.[Wink]
[signature]
Pretty sure they are in Current Creek Res.
[signature]
[quote ocean]Anyone know where I can catch some red sided minnows ?Somewhere not too north would be good.[/quote]

Can't you just catch regular minnows and color them in with a red sharpie? [cool]
[signature]