Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow, what a trip - sturgeon report
Wow what a trip! I spent the last three days fishing with Hue and my cousin Randy. We had a little bit of everything. We landed 40 sturgeon, landed doubles three different times, had multiple break offs, had one of the eyes fall off of one rod, had one reel quit working, almost lost an angler overboard (fighting a sturgeon) and lost one entire fishing rig.

I have been fishing for sturgeon since July 2003 and in all of that time I had never had a sturgeon break off any of the rod holders on any of my boats or on the boats of others that I happened to be on. This was despite some ferocious bites when I wasn’t even sure I could lift the rod out of the holder. A fishing buddy up there had told me that he had experienced sturgeon breaking rod holders. Last year, Hue lost one of his rods, while fishing on someone else’s boat, and then had a rod holder snap on his boat earlier this year (rod was saved because he had it attached to a tether line).

This trip Hue provided us with tether lines to attach to all of our rods. I was pretty faithful about using them, despite never having one of my rod holders break. Randy was doing the same. Randy made a cast with one rod, put it in the rod holder (unfortunately, he didn’t immediately attach the tether line) and grabbed his other rod to cast it out. Before he even got ready to cast the other rod a sturgeon hit his first rod with such a violent strike that it was gone before he could grab it, despite him being less than two feet away from it. We didn’t even attempt to snag it, by dragging a treble hook or similar along the bottom, because it was likely immediately dragged a long ways away from where we were fishing. You can bet one of my first projects will be to make my own tether lines and I will insist that they always be used on my rods.

One angler was fighting a large sturgeon (likely over 8’ long), on the bow of the boat, and had it fairly close to the boat, when the sturgeon abruptly changed directions. Because the angler was leaning the direction the sturgeon abruptly headed the angler fell towards that side of the boat. Had one of us not been standing close by, so that we could grab the angler there is a good possibility he would have been swimming.

The sturgeon ranged in size from 19” to 8’4”. Another great trip with Hue and good to get out again with my cousin Randy. I just wish we could have experienced even a fraction of the success when I recently fished with Mike and Allan. Hue has some great pictures that hopefully, he will post.
[signature]
Another great trip with Kent. We fished though the wind and rain showers 2 of the 3 days. Some of the fastest action came during the wind just before and after the rains hit. I managed to catch my smallest sturgeon yet, a whopping 20". I also matched my personal best at 8'4". I am also the one that was almost drug overboard. I had a fish fighting harness/vest on that was attached to the rod so I was going anywhere the rod went, including into the river. Thanks to Kent for grabbing me and keeping me in the boat. Fortunately/unfortunately when I fell, I landed on the reel, damaging it, stopping the drag and breaking the line. I always wear an auto-inflating lifevest as does Kent. The trip was host to many exciting moments as Kent posted, but almost skiing behind a huge sturgeon will be my most memorable. Imagine me strapped to the rod, vest inflated, and pulled around in the river while Kent chases me down with the boat(if he doesn't just start fishing again). Thanks for the invite Kent.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Sounds like you had quite the memorable trip. Glad that everyone returned safely without an extra bath.
[signature]
Sounds pretty intense! Cool stories for sure.
[signature]
I'm glad that you guys had a great trip.

I would have liked to have seen Hue doing some skiing though too. [Wink]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Sounds like you and Hue had pretty exciting trip and good memories for sure[cool].
[signature]
You left out another part of this adventure. On the way home on I-84 we were inches away from piling into a line of cars when two vehicles had stopped in the fast lane to pick up their belongings that had blown out of the truck. Why do people continue to put others at risk by not tying down their loads before driving at 80 mph? Also don't park in the road, that is what the shoulder can be used for. Idiots!!!
[signature]
Yep, at times like that I wish my boat trailer had brakes.
[signature]
It does sound like a remarkable trip Kent. Maybe we'll be able to make another trip in the future and have some similar success.

Mike
[signature]
It amazes me to hear you and others talk so lightly about an 8 foot fish, and the fact that you caught 40 of them. I realize they weren't all that big. But still crazy. You should do a running total of inches caught on your next trip, just for giggles.
[signature]
Ol Kent hooked me up with my first sturgeon and when it came up where we could see it he called it a "guppy". Lol

It measured just over five and a half feet. Biggest thing I have ever brought to the boat in my life. But I'll take a guppy like that any time.

Thanks again for a great trip Kent. [Smile]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Here is your giggles answer. We keep a log of the catches on every trip. I just did a tally of the trip and the 40 fish measured a total of 2,389 inches. Wow that is 199.1 feet of sturgeon.
[signature]
You guys are nuts !! You should install a Saltwater fighting chair on the back of the boat with a harness so you can strap yourselves in. Also, use the type of rod holders that are installed in the gunnels and are flush to the surface so the rod can't be pulled out. Sturgeon have to be the marlin of fresh water!! Kudo's to all of you that pursue em!! I'll stick to the SMB up there, my back would not hold up fighting one of those!!
We are continually upgrading our gear. I just ordered my fourth upgrade on rod holders. Waiting on arrival of stainless steel ones. As you know, you always make do with what you can afford. Fighting chairs? We would need two minimum for when we get doubles, and a bigger boat to accommodate them. Recliners would be nice also. Until I win the lottery, I will survive with little boat, sore back, aching arms, sunburned face, and hope someone will grab me if I go overboard. This is soooo much fun. I would use a cane pole and string if I had to.
[signature]
You wrote:

" hope someone will grab me if I go overboard."

Try a tether around your ankle [Wink][Tongue].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote EyLayo]

It amazes me to hear you and others talk so lightly about an 8 foot fish, and the fact that you caught 40 of them. I realize they weren't all that big.

[/quote]

Believe me we do not take it lightly when we hook an 8 foot, or larger, sturgeon. We immediately rush around getting all other rods out of the way and then toss the anchor (tied to a floating cushion). If anything goes wrong those sturgeon break an 80 pound leader like it is 4 pound leader. Shawn you should join us on one of our trips and experience what it is like to catch a large fish.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote EyLayo]

It amazes me to hear you and others talk so lightly about an 8 foot fish, and the fact that you caught 40 of them. I realize they weren't all that big.

[/quote]

Believe me we do not take it lightly when we hook an 8 foot, or larger, sturgeon. We immediately rush around getting all other rods out of the way and then toss the anchor (tied to a floating cushion). If anything goes wrong those sturgeon break an 80 pound leader like it is 4 pound leader. Shawn you should join us on one of our trips and experience what it is like to catch a large fish.[/quote]

That is so true. Fighting a 300-450 lb. fish on 80 lb. leader is as much of a challenge as fighting a 30-45lb. fish on 8 lb. test. Except these fish can pull the rod out of our hands or pull you overboard. Everything has to go right.
[signature]
Sorry Kent, my comment wasn't meant to make it sound like you weren't serious about your craft. I believe you care for those fish more than most. No harm intended.
[signature]
What we have here is a failure to communicate. I never took your comment as being negative at all.
[signature]
Oh good. No worries then. Let's go fishing
[signature]