Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mud Lake cattin'
Fished in Provo Bay today with Catcarsen in our kayaks. Great day, calm seas, and lots of cats. We caught most of our cats on wb, a few on carp meat.

Picture below provides proof positive that the blue catfish is to be found in Utah lake. Carsen claims the second picture is by far the best.

BLK and Catcarsen
[signature]
"Carsen claims the second picture is by far the best."

[#0000FF]He's right. Your face is covered up.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice cat. How long was it?
[signature]
I knew that one was coming... especially from you. I got no argument other than as i have said before, you ain't exactly the epitome of pulchritude yourself.[Wink][Wink] It happens to us old geezers..[Sad]
[signature]
He was just shy of 28 inches. Looks bigger because of the out-thrust arms. Sure was colored up... almost a steel gray color. He had a bad attitude, too.

We caught several that were in the 25-28 inch range...mostly females. Besides the usual waterfowl observed we saw a rockchuck hanging out on the cement slaps at the water's edge and several coyotes protesting out presence somewhere toward I-15?? A good day.
[signature]
"you ain't exactly the epitome of pulchritude yourself"

[#0000FF]I'll have you know that I NEVER pulch...especially on the first date.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Boatloadakids]

Sure was colored up... almost a steel gray color. He had a bad attitude, too.
[/quote]

We caught several similar cats on Saturday - beautiful fish, even if they are catfish. Attached is one of the ones that I caught. And as you said, all of the daddy cats seemed to have a bad attitude.
[signature]
Here is a pic of my favorite from Saturday.
[signature]
A Very nice cat, but not a blue. It is a common misconception that Utah Lake has blue catfish. Coloration has very little to do with species. You can go to www.catfishedge.com-catfish-species-basics/ where you can get the specifics on channels and blues. Over the last 30 years I have caught a boatload or two of big Utah Lake catfish. Many of the larger males have been very dark. The curved anal fin with less than 30 rays is proof positive it is a channel.
[signature]
Hey, Lynn, just wondering where you launch to get to that part of the lake. Seems a long way from anywhere.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that every participant on this thread knows that all the pictured fish are channel cats.
[signature]
Glad you got out and wrestled a few, or a lot! I hope the 36+ is a female. They are a lot heavier and usually fight better.

Keep up the good work!
[signature]
MRJ -- my mistake, I should have included a few [Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink] in that post. However, I did talk to a couple of guys on the launch at Lincoln today who said they had caught a few blues today. No argument here.

Craig -- We access Mud Lake via Swede Lane, good for tubes, yaks, and maybe a small aluminum boat. Probably almost equal distance form Provo and Lincoln by boat. Water is 4+ feet deep; last year is was not much more than a foot deep.

Jim -- Thanks and good to see you out with your troop the other day. I always find the best fishing when with kids. Some of my most successful trips have been those where I bait hooks and unhook fish without throwing a line out myself.
[signature]
Yeah, I run into guys all the time that swear on their Mother'a grave they are catching blue catfish. I'm hoping to catch a few of those big "blues" sometime this week or next. Hopefully both.
[signature]
That "Blue" virus must be spreading north. The last couple males I got out of the Bear river were so blue as t o be almost black, and ugly too.........[Wink]
Sure wish the cats were equally as long as they are fat. Might have got a 34 to 36 incher by now. [sly]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]Maybe we should start measuring fish like they do in Texas. Heerd tell about a "Yankee" who was listening to some Texas boys braggin' about their fish...an 8 incher here, a 10 incher there. He broke into their discussion by laughing at them for even claiming such small fish. Then one of the local Texas boys set him straight. "Hey...down here we measure 'em between the eyes."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yea, and they catch them with bare hands too. Sorry, I spent too many years in the south (Ga. Fl.) to be sticking my hand down in murky water around logs in the hope of putting my hand in some big Cats mouth. Seen WAY too many gators.. Even had a Moccasin (Cotton Mouth) drop out of a low hanging Cypress tree into the well of a Ranger Bass boat I was standing up on the back deck of. The boat owner was on the bow deck, and when I hollered at him......SNAKE......... he turned around, lifted that black ugly slithering sucker up with the tip of his bass rod and flipped it into the water, then continued his turn and cast his lure right where he had intended it without missing a beat. That was last time I let him pull up under low hanging branches when I was with him. [mad]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000ff]Been that...done there...or whatever. I have also fished a lot of southern waters...Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas. And I have had my share of "interesting" encounters with gators, snakes and snapping turtles. I was also a short-time noodler. I was lucky that my snake noodling experience was with a harmless water snake but that was enough. And I have heard plenty of stories about water moccasins, turtles and even beavers. No thank you. I like all my fingers just where they are.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Scariest encounter in a boat was in Florida. My fishing buddy and I went down to get in our beached bass boat early one morning we found about a 7' eastern diamondback rattler had crawled up into the boat overnight. But since he hadn't brought his own rod and tackle we evicted him.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worst things we encounter in Utah are wackos that wanna talk our hind legs off...about all kinds of weird stuff...or argue with us about blue cats and flatheads being in Utah.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]