Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL catfish help
Hi everybody,

Last year I promised my sister that we could catch more fish in Utah than we caught then in North Dakota. At this time last year, I was catching 30 smallmouth a day and still getting some trout. I'm now worried I can't deliver on this promise, as bass fishing still seems slow. Family is arriving tomorrow.

I'm interesting in trying for catfish, which I usually only catch by accident. I know the general strategy -- and so thank you to folks who have posted helpful reports on that lately. What I'm wondering if it makes a lot of difference where on Utah Lake we try. Is Lincoln Beach better than the state park in Provo? I'm not looking for any secret spots, but I'd feel better if I could start in some location for at least a non-arbitrary reason.

Of course, I also completely respect not wanting to give location - related advice!

If we give it a try I'll post what we find. Hopefully after a few days fishing I'll have something positive to report.

Thanks!
[signature]
Boat or bank fishing? I'd give Provo harbor area the nod if fishing from shore... either Lincoln or Provo Harbor if my boat. Slowly dragging white bass chunks has worked well for my crew but anchoring up near structure or close to reeds should produce.

Good luck!

BLK
[signature]
Bird Island is usually a good bet, but extremely risky for eating props. I have fished it twice recently and done OK and will be fishing it again tomorrow. I stop and raise the outboard, at least a block away from the closest point on the island, and move closer with the Minn Kota. Even with doing that I drug the boat across a large rock that was just barely under the surface but not visible (because the water at Utah Lake is not clear enough to see more than a couple inches down into the water). Avoid the southeast corner for at least a couple blocks out. There is a ridge that goes out that direction a long ways.

If you do go to Bird Island be sure to fish under a bobber (a maximum of about 20") unless you enjoy breaking off on almost every cast.

Another good bet is anywhere near the shoreline from the Lindon Boat Harbor to the American Fork Boat Harbor. Cast right up next to the edge of the shore.
[signature]
If fishing from shore I would try the dikes at one of the harbors.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Just coming into prime time for kitties...almost everywhere on the lake. As the water gets higher, look for places where the reeds are flooded to a depth of at least a couple of feet. Drop a bait under a bobber next to the reeds. Keep moving until you find where the fish are hanging out and then hang on.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The cats are looking for rocks and flooded vegetation right now for their spawning ritual. And they stay near cover later both for food and shelter. However, as the water warms in the summer you may sometimes catch bigger fish at night.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here's something to help.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Bird Island can be tricky to fish, but each side is different. The southeast arm goes out shallow for hundreds and hundreds of yards. I give it about half mile when crossing it. The southwest arm drops off pretty fast. The southern arc has a pretty even bottom and I have never encountered any rogue rocks there. The east side is similar from my experience. I call the west side the "Briar Patch" since it has all kinds of rock hazards and even a steel t-post that seem to come out of nowhere. Not quite as bad on the north from my limited experience there. Regardless of where you fish there, going slow and keeping the motor as shallow as possible is just a smart thing to do.
[signature]
Tubedude's advice is money, especially with the advice about fishing weedlines. I had never really done it his way but since I began using his technique, I have caught hundreds of catfish out of a tube and wading along flooded weedlines, fishing a chunk of carp meat under a bobber. By the way, catfish won't be your only fish hitting on the weedlines. I actually caught near my personal best largemouth in Utah by using his method with meat under a bobber. My best luck for weedline fishing has been along the weedlines to the west of the Provo airport. Doesn't take long and if they're there, the bobber will quickly disappear. It has seemed that the fresher the bait, the quicker the bite.

Never fished bird island, since I'm boatless, but Lincoln beach, Lindon harbor area and that area along the airport's west dike have all been great spots for me fishing under a bobber. Some of the areas may be a little tougher to wade right now since we're having a good water year and the lake level seems to be high with runoff.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You are a good student, Grasshoppah.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Have you heard anything from Leaky recently?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
No sir.... I haven't. I tried to track down his wife Sandy via social media so I could check on him. No dice. Haven't talked to anyone who has heard from him either. Makes me Sad to think I've lost touch with a guy I fished and hunted with all the time and considered a close friend.

You've always been very forthcoming with advice and tactical info, which has helped me catch more than my fair share of catfish out of Utah Lake. A guy definitely can't go wrong following your directions, that's for sure. [cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the kindly comments.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hate to say it but I'm guessing that our old friend has crossed over to fish the waters on the other side.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here are a couple of pics from the past.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "LEAKY AND SPARKY 2.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline RILEY.jpg]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
This is all extremely helpful. Thanks for the advice! We're going to give it a try tomorrow. We do have a boat, but wading the weedlines sounds fun as well, so I will keep that in mind for another day.
[signature]