Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum information?
Can anyone tell me what the ice is like at Hyrum. I am supposed to take my scout group there on saturday and I need to know what to be prepared for. Also, if anyone has any tips on where to fish or what to use right now I would appriciate it. With this group of kids, I would be astounded if we lasted more than an hour on the ice let alone catch any fish!
[signature]
I have a friend at work who was there last sat. He didn't catch any fish. He was fishing near the dam on the south side. I fished it one evening a couple of weeks ago near the dam and caught a couple of trout. I have had reports that the best area in on the east end of the lake in about 15-30 ft of water. The ice is about 14" thick and should be fine unless we get rain. Then the edges may be a problem as the lake may rise.

The best baits have been wax worms or meal worms on and ice fly or a ratfinky. Also if you catch a trout, open it up and get the perch minows out of the gut, if it has any, and use those. I would use a drop shot to get to the bottom faster and one rig about 3" off of the bottom for perch and another rig 12-14" off of the bottoms for trout. Also use a spring bobber on the line as a strike indicator for the light bites.

Hope this helps. Have a good trip and let us know how you do.
[signature]