Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek 6/8/19
Got on the lake at 6:30 AM. Fished with powerbait in a couple spots in the Wallsburg area for three hours. Not even so much as a nibble.

We switched to trolling when the wind started up about 9:30 AM. I used a Gold/Red Jakes Spin-A-Lure, My dad and brother fished Rapalla Husky Jerk minnows. One pink clown and an Orange/Green one (can't remember the name). We trolled from Wallsburg to the mouth of Rainbow Bay with two lines at 15 feet down and the other about 10 feet. No action.

We then decided to head across the lake to the north shoreline and work our way towards the dam. We switched out the Jake to another Orange/Green minnow and while trolling our way to the north shoreline we got a hit in the middle of the lake. After about 10 seconds of fighting it got away. We made it to the shore and trolled towards the dam. After my pole hit a snag and took my whole setup we decided to shallow up our depth to about 7ft.

About two minutes after going shallow I landed a 13 incher. If the line wouldn't have popped out of the downrigger I never would have figured I had a fish on the line. He didn't fight at all so I thought I lost him. He then surfaced about 15 ft from the boat and he saw us and boy did he fight then. Sadly for him he was hooked really good and we boated him. We didn't get much action until we got close to the buoys near the dam. My dad got a nice, fat, 18 incher and lost two more about 4 feet away from our net. He lost another two about 15 feet away. I hooked two but lost them about 40 feet away. My brother hooked two feisty Rainbows that jumped out and broke free both times about 25 feet away.

I wish we would have skipped the powerbait and fished at 7ft The whole time. Probably could've limited out. Anyway it's always fun to get out on the lake with my dad and brother.
[signature]
Good report -- sounds like you finally had some pretty good action, just a little tough getting them in the boat....do you and your Dad troll quite a bit? Always fun, and very often very productive....I bait fished from shore alot also, probably most of us do/did.....but if you can, your boat is the way to go....wish my Dad had a boat when me and my brothers were young....take your time reeling in those fish, and keep a 'tite line', and keep going after them....you'll get 'em.....Guluk....
[signature]
No, we don't. Just started in July of last year. Still trying to get into the groove of doing it. I always grew up on powerbait but I've always wanted to troll. The couple times I did it with friends we ended up catching bigger and better trout. I've now convinced my dad that trolling is better but my younger brother (who doesn't come often) prefers powerbait and just sitting still. That's the only reason we started with powerbait yesterday. After our results yesterday I think I've convinced him that trolling is better. Now its just time to find out what is the best rigging.
[signature]