Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Deep Structure...DWR Reply
[#0000FF]We have had a couple of posts on the artificial structure placed in Rockport recently. I and others questioned whether they might be putting it too deep for the small perch. I sent an inquiry to Chris Penne of DWR. His reply is one of the two PDF files attached. The other is a report prepared by Chris and the new biologist...Cody Edwards.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In a followup email, Chris also provided the "numbers" for the new structures.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Thanks, Chris and Cody
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF] [/#0000FF]
While we are working on getting the coordinates on the website, here's a list of coordinates that will make a polygon that the structures can be found within. These were provided by Kent Sorenson, who is one of our habitat biologists that helped spearhead the project. See below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have been placed in clusters within the polygon contained within the corners identified by the following coordinates (Clockwise beginning at the northwest corner):

N 40 deg. 46.647' W 111 deg. 24.171'
N 40 deg. 46.663' W 111 deg. 24.059'
N 40 deg. 46.509' W 111 deg. 24.152'
N 40 deg. 46.531' W 111 deg. 23.970'

WGS 84 map datum

[#0000FF][/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the info Pat. Very interesting! I know I'll be checking them out. maybe in the fall before ice up. Probably won't be releasing many of those perch coming from the deep.
[signature]
I love it when a person in his position gives a confident logical answer based on research and study.

I would think it will work for the intended purpose. The positive circumstances of high water levels and good management should result in good future Perch populations in Rockport. Time will tell.

I'm glad he is in that job, and you are able to communicate questions to him.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm sure a lot of perch fans are anxiously awaiting the "real world" results. If DWR projections prove accurate and applicable to other waters those new "reefs" might be a good enhancement for some other perch ponds.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
No doubt, we shall see if it pans out like intended! I think echo may be able to use a few of those if they work at RP.

On another note it seems like you will have to crank up that motor on your tube if you want to catch more and SBCs at Willard. If they are trolling worms at 2.5mph-- some like it fast. You ever seen that before?
[signature]
"If they are trolling worms at 2.5mph-- some like it fast. You ever seen that before?"

[#0000FF]Nothing that happens on Willard ever surprises me. I have seen it when anything worked...and when nothing worked. And I have seen plenty of times when different boats...fishing different areas with different lures...at different speeds...all had good success. But as is usual, each of them swore that their method was the only thing that was working on the lake that day. And some of them insist on fishing that exact same way for the rest of their lives.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Always good to have a variety of things to try and to keep changing up until you find the pattern du jour.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But as soon as the fish quit hitting you either have to find other active fish or change up your approach. While there are weather and barometric situations that will govern how the fish act...not all of them in the same lake act the same way.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One of the object lessons I learned a long time ago was to never assume you had walleyes (or any species) figured out on Willard. In earlier times, before wipers and shad, crappies were the main forage species for walleyes and both species tended to hang out closer to the rock dikes. So I concentrated my finesse casting with plastics and cranks closer to the rocks.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Late one afternoon I noticed a small tin boat noisily exiting the south marina and heading in my general direction. They were moving pretty fast but were trolling as they went...with four guys in the boat and only one rod fishing. As they got closer it was apparent that the guys had been liberally sampling adult beverages. Loud and obnoxious. I made a mental note that they were not likely to catch much, since they were not making slow deliberate presentations along the dikes...like me.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That's when I got gobsmacked. The single rod, dragging a big nickle spoon at mach 3, kept bending over with a succession of chunky walleyes. As the guys noisily passed back and forth...a hundred yards offshore...they kept trading the rod around so each could reel in a fish. No downriggers, planer boards, snap weights, crawler harnesses or fancy schmancy joined crankbaits. Just a silver spoon flatlined a short distance behind a fast trolling noisy tin boat. The walleyes must have been desperate that day. Never seen anything like it since.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]While I fish from a float tube, I have learned a lot of alternate plan Bs to try when my plan As ain't working. Sometimes I do well. Other times...not so much. But I always have fun. The big thing on Willard is you usually gotta cover a lot of water to find fish...and my "big motor" on my tube just don't allow me to cover more than a small area each trip. If I find fish I usually score okay. And I seldom smell skunk altogether. But I don't burn much gas either. Unless I had burritos the night before.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Doesn't take much to get your fingers moving on that keyboard does it?LOL
I appreciate the chapter and verse and agree that trying different approaches sometimes works better than the "experts" known tactics. One can pick up a lot of good info and intel at the cleaning station or on here.

I also think that one has to keep a 'neutral' attitude for catching fish or hunting anything. By that I mean not focusing on the catch or non catch. Like you said, you always have fun no matter what you catch. Not focusing on the 'catch' and more on the enjoyment of just getting out and the whole experience is key to catching and not being real disappointed if one gets skunked. That attitude also lends itself well to trying different approaches and tactics. I am a firm believer that ones mental attitude can have an affect on catch rate. Do you think those guys drinking in the boat catching the heck out of walleye that day had the overwhelming feeling they were going to catch fish or not? I believe they had that neutral attitude that they didn't care one way or the other and were just out for a good time.
[signature]
"Do you think those guys drinking in the boat catching the heck out of walleye that day had the overwhelming feeling they were going to catch fish or not? I believe they had that neutral attitude that they didn't care one way or the other and were just out for a good time."

[#0000FF]I have replayed that scenario over in my head many times during the years since. I'm convinced that they did not start their "escapade" with a plan to catch a lot of fish...or any fish. I rather suspect that after lubricating their thought processes one of them with a boat...and a "pole"...suggested the others join him for a "joy ride".
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It was easy enough to hear and see that none of them were experienced anglers. Spinning reel on top of the rod...turned backwards? You get the idea. I have seen a few such impulse sessions over the years. But they usually turn out worse...with accidents and/or drownings. As I recall, none of them were wearing PFDs. And I suspect that most if not all of them did not even have a fishing license. But that's just me...being judgmental. Dang me.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You are smack spang spot on in your observation that the proper mental attitude can affect angling success. Having positive expectation and fishing your choice of lures and baits with confidence will always catch more fish.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The object lesson I took away from that trip was that the Diety looks after the impaired and less fortunate...no matter how stupid and dangerous they might be. I only wish that divine providence was handed out a little more liberally to we who work hard and are more worthy of fishing success. But there are those among us who dismiss that as not recognizing blessings in disguise...that we are being made stronger through challenges...that they build character. I think I am already enough of a character.[/#0000FF]
[signature]