Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard inlet kayaking?
I've got a mixed answers, is kayaking in the Willard South Marina inlet legal?

Thanks in advance
[signature]
Welcome to the site. The inlet has been closed for a lot of years, unless they have changed that policy but I have not heard it is open to boats or kayaks. There is usually a bouey right at the point that goes into that area from the South marina that says it is closed to watercraft but I'm not sure it is out yet. Have you called the Willard Parks department?
[signature]
My last trip to Willard, 31 May, the South Marina inlet that WH2 referred to did have the NO BOAT Buoy in place. I have seen guys back up in that channel in tubes, toons, and kayaks over the years. The last one I noticed, because I was anchored just outside the buoy, and a DNR Ranger was up on the top of the dike, telling a guy in a canoe that he couldn't be up past the NO BOAT buoy. I know that's what he was saying, cuz he was saying it quite loud and forceful. [:/]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thank you very much.

I've called the state park office twice now, each time reaching a very polite but uninformative worker. The First women said I "should be good to go." But then I saw the bouy saying danger with a propellor picture. I called a couple days later, and a second gal said I was fine to kayak it, but that I "would probably piss off a lot if fishermen." Neither worker seemed too sure.

Was Confused thinking that the bouy meant watch for possible propellor damage. Sounds like it's simply a "stay out" sign though.

Thanks for your time!
[signature]
Thank you, the bouy Confused me with the picture of a propellor saying "danger." I figured it was a warning that the inlet got shallow quick/ or there was an obstacle of some sort. Saw today that the opposite side says keep out...

Thanks for your time
[signature]
[#0000FF]As a float tuber I have been up and down the channel a lot over the years. Never a problem...except one overzealous ranger started yelling at me. I asked if $$$$$ was still a ranger there (a BFT member). He said yes, contacted $$$$ and was told that float tubes were okay...that it was to prevent motorized craft from going up the channel.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have not tried in in a couple of years and $$$$ is no longer a ranger there...so I don't know if there have been any changes. Hope you can contact someone who will be able to give you a definitive answer.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If not, it just one more example of the services we have lost while paying more in fees.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]