Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catitude Latitude 6-17-19
[#0000ff]Looked like Monday might be my only shot at getting in some fishing this week. So I met up with Pa at Lindon and we launched an assault. Air temp at 6 am was 60. Water temp 71. Water level the highest I have seen at Lindon for a long time.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I was getting my tube ready to launch there were some small white bass slurping midges near the ramp. A few casts before launching bagged me some bait. Already had a couple dozen LHBE minnows, including some mega sized ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nothing doing inside the harbor or out near the dikes at the entrance. So I moved down to "kitty city"...a zone that usually produces catkind. Had 4 cats netted before 7 am. Decided to move on down to the bubbleup. Tried pitching plastics and working small crankbaits along the pipe. Nobody home...or at least nobody hungry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay. Back to cattin'. Game on. Almost constant action the next couple of hours. No score bumpers on the contest. Biggest 26 inches. A couple of 25 inchers and some 2 footers. Lots of over 20s. Smallest two cats came on small plastic tube jigs I was throwing for white bass or walleyes...none of whom put in an appearance at the pipe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Caught cats on just about everything I tried. A few on white bass but most and biggest on large chub minnows. Got several on fligs...some with white bass flesh and others with small minnows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started catching in 4 feet of water not too far south of the dike. But later in the morning also found some out as far as 7'...including my largest. The last flurry came in about 6' of water as I was coming back in toward the harbor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pa accounted for a few whiskery adversaries too. Not sure how many he ended up with. I'm sure he will chime in.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Fun day Pat thank you. When I finally followed your lead and got to 4ft I caught fish.
I ended up with 6 kitties and 1 small white bass which the kitties promptly ate. 2 of mine were hooked on fire tiger flig with bass meat and the rest were on the 3in gulp
shaky shad minnow with piece of worm. The pics are my 2 best. Really like the rod tree. Works great. Thank you sir.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad we could get together...and that the fishies wanted to play. Also glad you like the rod tree. It will serve you better when you sand down those handles.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I had my dremel on one and slipped and ruined one of the big uglies. Will rest up today and finish the other 3 tomorrow by hand. My grand kids say Im fun to watch. Guess they are right
[signature]
That sounds like a great morning's fun! I'm glad you guys got out and exercised them a bit and yourselves too! Thanks for another great report and the pictures.

Especially thanks for the picture of the
Quote:small white bass slurping midges
. I saw a reference to that in your post about the Knowles. NExt time I was at Provo early I saw a 30 yard stretch of surface that looked just like that. I got a few for bait, but the chasing seemed too heated to be just midges and I wondered if they were chasing YOY something.

They looked just like your picture so I'll know what's gong on in the future. I always learn something from your posts...well, almost always.

Now if I just had the discipline to take pictures when I'm excited about catching the fish!
[signature]
"but the chasing seemed too heated to be just midges and I wondered if they were chasing YOY something."

[#0000FF]Highly unlikely that any fry from recent spawns is available yet. Although some 1" walleyes usually show up in weedy shallows about this time.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Later in the summer you can have a whole food chain playing out in front of you at daybreak sometimes. The attached two pictures show 2-3" white bass young feeding on midges...just before I launched at Sandy Beach early in September. Shortly thereafter, some larger white bass showed up and started blasting their younger cousins. As I was trying to kick out past the mayhem, one of my tandem jigs was trailing in the water. A good sized white bass jumped up and snarfed it...pulling the other jig down far enough that a second white bass grabbed it. Double trouble.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That scenario was repeated as often as I wanted to dunk the bottom jig in the water...right next to my tube. But as soon as I got to the edge of the melee I switched to a red and chartreuse 3" twister. And whenever I could keep it from getting molested by other white bass I caught nice walleyes. Yea verily. A whole food chain.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good job! Found a few kitties at Willard this AM. Report to come.
[signature]
I saw 2/3rds of that several time last summer in Provo. We were able to catch lots of sub 4 inch whites and sometimes the larger ones, but I could never entice a "top" predator to strike anything. I suspect they were around though.

The little guys didn't splash much, more just dimples, and that is my I wondered about those last week.

Thanks for sharing!
[signature]