Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach report 6/16/19
Mooseman75 invited me along to fish with him in his new boat on Saturday. His son Catslayer came along too. We happened to meet up with Bigcatch30 who was taking out one of his friends. He told us to follow him to the place at the island where they had done very well the day before. We anchored up near them and cast (mostly) toward a rocky arm that we could identify by the trees barely sticking up out of the water. We didn't do very well so we decided to head over to Mud Lake where I had never been before. When we got there we anchored in a little cove amongst the reeds. Mooseman soon was fast to a cat--and a bunch of reeds. After a lot of pulling he finally got the fish loose and boated him. Neither Catslayer nor I were having much luck so we moved around to a bit bigger cove. Justin kept on catching but Devon and I were still not doing much good. It was really pretty slow for all of us so we decided to try the Benjamin Slough. Just before we got there a couple of guys in a small tin boat pulled right into the spot we were headed for. Drats! We anchored up a decent distance away and commenced casting. Wouldn't you know it, Justin soon caught another fish from the brush/weeds, but it was slow all around. It didn't look like the other guys caught anything and they left. We pulled up into the slough until we noticed that we were in one foot of very muddy water. We backed out until the water cleared up some but had no luck. We decided that we would go back to the island and see if any of the boats that had been crowded around it earlier had left. Sure enough there was only one boat but it was in our favorite spot so we went to our second-favorite place. They soon were catching fish fairly steadily. I was at the back of the boat and had to cast out away from the island. Eventually I maneuvered my casts closer to the rocks and started catching cats. I soon hooked into one that I hoped would be a bumper. He made several drag-stripping runs and burrowed under the boat a few times before I finally got him to the net. He had a huge black head but only measured 25 inches. He sure fought above his weight class. He proved to be the biggest fish of the day but that wasn't saying much.

About 2:00 we could see a storm building off to the west and decided to get gone while the gettin' was good. Devon and I ended the day with five apiece and Justin pulled in ten, including three bullheads.

When we returned to the harbor it looked like the Spanish Armada with boats all over. Justin was assertive enough to get his boat out of the water without having to wait too long. There were three boats at the ramp constantly, either coming or going. Pickups and trailers were scattered everywhere, way out into the gravel areas. When we finished loading my stuff back into my pickup Justin glanced over and saw RJ and Violet. They had had quite a time getting their boat out of the water for all the traffic. They reported really good fishing by the reeds, having caught over twenty in a fairly short time. Their's were similar in size to ours, 20-23 inches for the most part. Before they finished fishing Violet had suggested that they try a little strolling further out in five fov. She soon snagged a 27.5"er to give her a little bump.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you did fine all in all.

It does seem that you have to find them to cathch good numbers. I have been draggin shallow until I got fish that way and then moving in to anchor. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I just keep doing it until you find enough fish to make you forget about moving.

I must have remembered wrong about the report I read. I thought it was your trip but it sounds more like RJ and Violets report.
[signature]
Thanks for reporting I forgot and just logged on to do so but your report sums it up very nicely. One thing I would add is that it was a great day and way to spend my Father’s Day weekend with great company. I wished the fishing was faster but boating 20 wasn’t half bad. But I’ve never seen Lincoln beach that busy. Boat trailers were parked down near the camp ground. It was a mad house. And waiting on the water with neck to neck boats and the wind it was nerve racking hoping I didn’t hit anyone. But by the grace we made it. You did leave out that we had waves splashing over the bow and windshield on our way in and it got a bit wet for us on the way to the harbor.
[signature]
Yeah I think I took the brunt of that water but I didn't mind--cooled me off though it wasn't very hot. The water was over 70° which makes the cats happy.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Those big old blackheaded pigs look like they want to bite your head off
[signature]