Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circle hook experiment
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Well, at my advanced age, everything I do is new to me...all over again. Keeps the thrill factor up.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Same here, remind me what we are talking about.
[signature]
I use the circle hook for a larger piece of bait and and I don’t recall having the hook ever go deeper in the mouth. One thing that happens to often is the hook penetrating the eyeball sometimes when it curls so close to the corner of the mouth. Does this happen often to others? I ran out of little eye patches last year so I went a bit smaller on the hook and it seems happen less but I have not been out enough this year to get a good sampling of its success.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote TubeDude][#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Well, at my advanced age, everything I do is new to me...all over again. Keeps the thrill factor up.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff][/quote]

Same here, remind me what we are talking about.[/quote]

[#0000FF]I don't remember. And who are you again?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I always enjoy reading posts about the gear and know-how of other catters. I have used all of the hooks mentioned at one time or another and I have my favorites for different baits and times of the year.

When I consider all of the different hooks I have used over the years and the different knots I have used to tie them to line, it spans many years. My first “hook” and the “hook” that “hooked” me was a simple straight pin bent into a “J” and tied to a piece of string on the end of a willow stick. I used this rig to catch minnows in a small irrigation ditch near my home.

Time passes, and my hooks have advanced from tiny straight pins to big halibut hooks used in Alaska. Between that straight pin hook and the big halibut hook lies about 70 years of memories that I would not trade for all the fortunes of the rich and famous.

The Octopus J hook, the flig, and the 7/0 circle hook are the ones I use the most today. I am never afraid to try something new, especially if it might help me converge with that 36 inch cat.

Fish on.

BLK
[signature]
I use Octopus hooks so that I can set the hook. It's like the cowboy in the white hat (me) attempting to out draw the bad guy when he first goes for his gun (tugs in the line). duh.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[quote Stickleback]

I use the circle hook for a larger piece of bait and and I don’t recall having the hook ever go deeper in the mouth.

[/quote]

I'm also becoming forgetful.[Wink]
[signature]
I understand the pulling the trigger when a cat hits but in my older years my reflex ain’t what it used to be. So I go with the tripwire approach. If I’m eating my snack or drinking my favorite beverage getting to the rod ain’t no big deal. In my later years I might need a walker or a oxygen bottle. Definite hazards in a boat! Can’t be too safe[Wink]
[signature]
Do they make walkers for stream fishing? I'm afraid a wading staff might not do it anymore for me [Wink].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote catchinon]Do they make walkers for stream fishing? I'm afraid a wading staff might not do it anymore for me [Wink].[/quote]

[inline WALKER.jpg]

[inline WHEELCHAIR.jpg]
[signature]
I certainly got turned onto circle hooks here in Florida, if I am throwing live bait or chunks it’s on a circle. Put my rod in a holder and loosen the drag, when a fish takes it I just tighten the drag and start reeling, pulls the hook to the corner of the mouth. No deep hooking and I don’t have to manage my rods as much.
[signature]