Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payson Canyon fishing? Or?
My son and his bride let me know today that they are ready to go fishing Wednesday. I gave them the option of going to a fairly ugly place to catch big catfish or to a pretty place for trout. They picked the trout. Does anyone have a report on Payson Lakes or Maple Lake? We could also go to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir or Mill Hollow. I would like to catch some semi-wild brooks over plantbows. Any ideas or info?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig -- Big East Lake in Payson Canyon would be a good, close, place for some stocked 'bows and occasional brook trout. I did a drive-by last weekend and there were a few fishers there. Purty up there, even with much of it burned off. The area around the lakes escaped the fire and there is no lingering snow there.

A crawler under a bobber should work; a Jake's' Spin-a-lure in gold with red dots is usually good, too. The canyon road is open to the Black Hawk Campground. Nice area but painful to see MY mountain burned the way it is.

Good luck.

Lynn
[signature]
Lynn, I agree 100% with everything that you wrote, right down to taking the drive last week and mourning our mountain. Didn't think of using the Jake's but that's probably Basic Fishing 102 for them. I showed them pictures of all the possibilities and they chose Payson Lakes. Years ago we went fishing at McClellan in the spring when the snowbanks were still clear up to there. We caught a bunch of brooks and I see on the stocking report that they have been planting fingerlings every year. That's what I meant by semi-wild trout. Do you know if they reproduce in there? And we can always slip down to Maple Lake if we want.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Remember I mentioned they used retinol on maple lake to kill the gold fish. They may have planted it by now I’m not sure but fishing may not be that hot there yet. Double check my knowledge as I’m getting older and don’t want to mislead you.
[signature]