Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Utah Lake Advice
Planning to take my grandson fishing Thursday. He lives in SLC, so I had thought to go to Utah Lake so he could catch whites.

There's now an algae warning for Provo Bay.

So...any advice about where to go (or where ELSE to go) or possibly a boat invite, or something equally useful?
[signature]
I have heard that cat fishing inside of American Fork marina has been good last week.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The weather forecast is for windy on Thursday. So fishing inside a harbor will be better than trying anyplace exposed on the main lake.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Provo Bay...aka "Mud Lake"...is a big shallow area into which several water treatment plants (treated sewage) empty. So it always has a higher level of nitrates and phosphates...algae food. It is also not as good for taking a youngster fishing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I might suggest you consider the aforementioned American Fork Harbor...or even Provo Harbor. And if you walk over the levee to the Provo River you should have a good chance at some white bass as well.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The only place I've ever been is the UL State Park (with kentofnsl) and that's where I had intended to go. I think that's still a good plan.

Due to horrendous traffic in the morning, we likely won't get there until long past Tubedude hours. I'll take his rod (jig and a bobber) and some worms. Might not even take a rod of my own, or maybe one with a catfish rig. Minding him will be full time work.

Thanks, all.
[signature]
I fished in the marina 10 days ago on my way out to chase cats a bit farther north. We got 4 whites just trolling out of the harbor. That day there were also "slurps" in the harbor. But, these things happened early, around 6 A.M.

As we left the harbor there were 8 or 10 cars parked along where the river runs in. A couple of people reported good fishing for whites that day. However, when we returned to the harbor about 11 AM, all the cars were gone from the area near the mouth.

My input would be: don't worry about the algae and get there as early as you can.

There were also half a dozen crappie working the underside of the dock where we launched, but they were smallish 6-7 inch fish.

I will probably be launching there Thursday morning at first light with Julie. Maybe we'll get to say hello. I meant to say I wish boat were bigger.
[signature]
Rocky, I have seen them catching white bass and also catfish off of the end of the south dike (where the marina opens up into Utah Lake). It is a popular place and may not be available when you get there. Fishing off of the north dike, on the end, can also be good. Depending on which way the wind is blowing one or the other one should be easier to fish. If I didn't already have another commitment I would have gladly taken you and your grandson out on my boat.
[signature]
Thanks, all.
[signature]
I would go after White bass. I took my family to the provo harbor recently and we did really well. We were using white 3 inch grubs and did really well with the kids. Here is some more details on where we caught some: https://tiltfishing.com/white-bass-fishi...utah-lake/

You can also go after some catfish there and some anglers do really well.

Best of luck!

Aaron
[signature]
Hey Rocky - I've been out of town, otherwise would have met up with you to show you my favorite spots. Hope it went well.
[signature]
There was horrific traffic coming down from Ogden that morning. Picked up my grandson at 9 a.m. and we got to UL at 9:30 or so. In time to see most anglers packing up and leaving the north jetty.

When he hadn't caught anything by 10, he said he was bored and wanted to leave. I kept him at it by moving once and changing lures - but when he started getting pink from sun, we packed up. His Dad said he had applied sunscreen, but...

Anyway, 10 worms got released in my garden unharmed.
[signature]