Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked Wiper Recipe?
I’ve heard that smoked wiper is very good. Anyone have a recipe that they like for smoking wiper?
[signature]
everything is better with a little smoke[Wink] I have never tried to smoke a wiper but i hope someone jumps on here and gives some advice so i can try as well
[signature]
[#0000ff]Wipers have firm white flesh that is good prepared many different ways. I have smoked just about every kind of fish available around the country and my opinion is that...like most fish...wipers are good smoking material if you prep them right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some fellow smokeologists I know have said they do not like smoked wiper. My guess is that they didn't smoke it right. What you brine it with, what kind of wood you use, what temperature and how long you smoke it can all have an influence on the outcome.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have to admit that the first batch of wipers I smoked did not come out as well as I might have liked. I filleted them and smoked them with the skin on...skin side down. The flavor was okay but the texture was a bit firm and dry. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My next batch I prepped like I used to do a lot of the salt water fish when I lived in California. You can scale them and cut out the spiny fins if you like, but it is not necessary. I cross-cut the whole fish into chunks about 2"-3" wide. Then...instead of the dry rub brining I usually prefer I mixed up a good liquid brine with salt and seasonings...and soaked the chunks overnight in it...rinsing lightly before smoking and allowing to air dry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a good temperature controlled smoker you can choose between fast/hot smoking or slow/cool smoking. I prefer the latter...to infuse more smoke flavor. As near as I can remember I did about 5-6 hours at 180 degrees. For fast/hot smoking you can do 300-350 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hours. As always, it is a personal preference thing. Try taking out a piece toward the end of your set time and check for doneness and smoke infusion. For more smoke, reduce the heat and increase the smoke for a longer period.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When you get ready to eat the smoked wiper, peel off the skin and also the red flesh between the skin and flesh...along the lateral line. That is sensory tissue that usually has a strong taste. You will like the rest of it better without that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wood? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? I prefer hickory but alder, apple, cherry or other aromatic woods work too.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There are a bajillion recipes for brine mix on line. But one important thing is to use sea salt or pickling salt (non-iodized) for whatever brine you make.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's something else I put together on wipers a while back that might be of interest.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]H
Thanks Pat, as always you have a wealth of knowledge. I have already filleted all of my wipers, will they work for smoking or do I need to catch some more and leave the skin on?

I'm definitely going to try the recipe you put in your attachment for frying them.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Of course you can smoke them if they are already filleted and skinned. Just be sure your racks are well oiled to reduce sticking. And since the fillets are thinner than a chunk of cross-cut fish they will get done faster...so watch them and take them off the smoke and heat when they are ready. (White and flaky with a bit of browning from the smoke.)
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have done other white fleshed fish like that...filleted and skinned. For a real yummy treat take them hot out of the smoker, put them right on a plate, dribble on some melted butter and lemon juice and pig out.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have not smoked any Wiper but did do some blackened and it was tasty in a sandwich.
[signature]
will this work on walleye Pat?
I've made chowder, pan fry in butter, baked, grilled , and of course deep fry beer batter.
never smoked.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
[#0000FF]I'm sure that smoked walleye would be great. But it almost seems a sacrilege to do that to a fish that is so good in so many other ways.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Got another suggestion for you though. Try "soup baking". Almost like a chowder but not. Lay your fillets in a deep glass baking dish. Mix one can of cream of mushroom soup with one can of cream of celery soup...with whole milk. Pour over the fish to just cover it.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour. Longer for thicker fillets. Test with a fork. Season to taste with pepper, garlic or other flavorings. Hold the salt until you taste it. The soup usually has enough. Serve with fresh cornbread or hot garlic toast.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You can substitute cream of celery or cream of onion soups...or experiment until you find what you like best. French onion is a good one too.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That also works well with wipers.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Check out this treatise on home fish smoking from the University of Alaska:
[/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][url "https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjW_96q0Y7jAhWBHc0KHWeeAskQFjABegQIDBAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcespubs.uaf.edu%2Findex.php%2Fdownload_file%2F1051%2F&usg=AOvVaw0EL9bXyqIOsuy6vmT4jgQt"]Smoking Fish at Home[/url][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It has all the information you need to be successful with any type of fish.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The only thing I do different is I stop smoking at an internal temperature of 150*F instead of 160*F they recommend.
Quote:[#000000]For hot-smoked products (see section on smoking) the internal temperature of the fish is raised to at least 160°F for bacterial reduction. Since this exceeds the 150°F required to kill parasites, only fish intended for a cold-smoke process must be frozen prior to processing.[/#000000]

I find this gives my smoked fish a better moisture profile than it will have if smoked to 160*F. But that's just me. I have had no complaints and nobody has ever gotten sick from eating my smoked fish.

An internal temperature monitoring device is an invaluable tool for achieving successful results every time. I use an [url "https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wireless-Waterproof-Thermometer-Li-Battery/dp/B07H4J1K8Z"]InkBird IRF-4S[/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3].[/size][/#800000][/font]

[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I'm one of the few that like wiper as much as walleye but only with ALL of the red meat (lateral line stuff between the meat and skin) removed.
I have been using "Frog Mats" sprayed with Pam under skinned fillets to keep them from falling through the grates of the smoker.
Also, I prefer alder for all fish but ymmv.
[signature]
Several replies here say that smoked wiper is good. I disagree ... of all the types of meat I have ever smoked, wiper was by far the worst ... never again.
[signature]
When you smoked it, did you remove all of the red meat? I really like wiper cooked if all of the red meat is removed.
[signature]