Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whiskey Island Grayling - Crazy Hot
Hey there BFTers

Cookie and I took on Whiskey Island grayling Saturday in the Unitas. Man it was a brutal ATV ride (getting in requires a high clearance 4x4 any time you go). Major snow drifts still, even now. Not able to get all the way to the place we usually start to hike from. Then the hike - wow - muddy and still major snow drifts down the north side. Cookie was a trooper pulling this one off with her MS. (it will cost me a trip, maybe two, to take her shoe shopping for sure). My hundred year old Beagle also managed one more trip over the top and in.

But we got in and the fishing was crazy hot. Good old standard high Mt rig consisting of a small plastic bubble half full of water on an ultralight and 4lb test, with a swivel, 2 ft of leader and a selection of wet flies (Renegade was the best followed by caddis and bead nymphs), slow reeled in brought strike after strike. They were bunched up in the shallow coves warming and feeding. I have went in before and found this lake to have winter killed but they were very healthy and getting some size on this check.

Father in law caught the State record from here many years back, but it winter killed shortly after and has never had that size since.

Anyway - great trip. If you want to give it a go I suggest waiting a few more weeks for the drifts to melt, but its worth the hike (apx a mile). Watch for the goats - they frequent the ridge behind the lake

Made a good video of the adventure - hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/nSc2fSiqWUY

Also here is the link to video with a bit of treasure hunting inbetween fishing near Whitney - I was asked if I can really pan gold up there - and the answer is yes, but not enough to pay for the lures I lose each year..but proof of the boast is in the vid

https://youtu.be/BNWq_VlkxEM

Now - wipers - got to get that done before Willard shuts down
[signature]
Nice report and great pictures. It has been many years since I've held a grayling in my hands. Beautiful fish.
[signature]
That's still a lot of snow! Glad you made it in. Those grayling are a cool fish.
[signature]
Nice work. You've all but convinced me to take a hike and escape the heat. What were the overnight lows up in the high country? Wondering if I need the heavy bags, or if the lightweight sleeping gear will suffice?
[signature]
Great report, awesome pics and video. Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
It was a day trip this time, but boy would I have loved to have spent the night. Did spend the night, a couple actually, the week before, nearer to Whitney. Also a great fishing trip. Snowed on us but we were in the RV for that one and modern heaters make it pretty easy to bear, even when the your joints are screaming from wading in the near frozen water.

My advice - go for it, but bring the sub zero bag at least for a couple more weeks
[signature]
DWR has been sneaking them into waters a bit easier to access if you want to play with them again. Hoop, Smith and Moorhouse, Trial come to mind. I am sure there are some others. Also the creek above Stateline has a few. But it's hard to beat Whiskey for fishing for Grayling with just a short hike. Just wish they would have the size they had 20 yes ago.
[signature]
Agreed. Rvs make it nice most of the time. But I sure do enjoy strapping all I need on my back and wandering around 'lost' for a few days with no real agenda. Big bag it is. Thanks
[signature]