Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uinta Backpacking Options with 6 Year Old
Greetings,

My 6 year old son is approached me and asked me to take him fishing and backpacking this weekend. We have been on several overnight hikes in the Uintas over the years. He especially enjoys hiking into Haystack Lake and Shadow Lake near Washington Lake, but it looks like there is too much snow right now for an enjoyable time. Do any of you have any suggestions for a lower elevation lake in the Uintas or the Wasatch Front area that could provide a reasonable fishing and backpacking opportunity? If you are not comfortable sharing over the forum, please PM me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Crikfisher
[signature]
I forgot to mention that my son is capable of hiking up to a couple of miles.

Thanks!
[signature]
If you can get up the Spring Canyon you could try Spectacle Lake (Hourglass for the old-timers). It is a little lower in elevation and not visited as much as other lakes in the area.

I find that the lakes in Murdock Basin are usable earlier than Haystack.

I think Silver Lake (above Silver Lake Flat Res.) in Am Fork canyon could be an option too. But that place is very popular, and therefore crowded.
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions, Matador. In looking at the map of Spring Canyon, Alexander Lake looks like it might also be a lower elevation option.
[signature]
A couple other details...

Generally if you can get to Alexander, you can get to Spectacle. The snowdrifts around the switchbacks and in the shade around Alexander is what will stop you.

The Snotel site at Trial Lake shows that last nights low temperature was 39*. So still a little nippy at night. Take adequate gear.

And please let us know how it goes! I too am dying to get my 8 yr old up there.
[signature]
I just got off the phone with a forest Ranger and inquired about Chipeta Lake area. He said the snow is gone and that area has several Lakes easily accessible for your little one. Hidden Lake, elbow Lake, moccasin, papoose, Wigan and several others. That area is one of my favorite places in the Uintas.
[signature]
Thanks again for the suggestions. Sounds like there are several possibilities.....
[signature]
Haven't been there myself this year, but I have seen pictures that looks like the China meadows area is cleared of snow and there are a lot of lakes around there that can make good day hikes for a young'un... just one more possibility to look at... later J
[signature]
I can second Randy's suggestion of the Chipeta area. The Reader Lakes are not too far and there's a good wide trail through towering firs and huge boulders. We packed a couple of elk out of there and it was easy going.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Did you really just say packing a couple elk out was pretty easy - I got to get me some of them vitamins you are taking
[signature]
Yup, we pack them out in quarters on our shoulders. But that trip I mostly loaded and walked in front of the horse [Wink]. I'm glad we have some young bucks to help out but I'm still expected to carry my share of the load. Partly why I have been putting more time into exercising my arms pulling in all the big fish.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Alexander would not be a good lake for a 6 year old trip. I love the fishing there, but that is not what most folks utilize it for. You can get in with a decent 4x4, and on weekends the lake will have wakeboards, canoes, most not fishing ( thank goodness!) and on shore there will be all types from swearing drunks to singing campers. Not a peaceful place for a nice camp out.
[signature]
It's great you are encouraging and helping him be active and physical particularly in these times of the popularity of sitting and a tiny glowing rectangular screen!

I hiked with snowshoes for the first time two years ago. It's an outdoor recreational athletic activity that combines well with our high Uinta fishing and hiking. Start him early. It expands capabilities and preparedness.

My future children and future grand children will gain these advantages from me.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should avoid Alexander! My son is totally jazzed about the trip.
[signature]