Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange shape catches all species
Decided to cut off the claw from a crawfish lure and fuse it to a grub body. Then I figured why not coat it with some glitter using a soft plastic glue (Mend-It):
[Image: DgO1xfH.jpg][Image: DZekz0E.jpg]
Water temperature at the surface was 84 degrees and the water color was like pea soup, but suspended fish bit it in 8' using 8# test braid and a 1/24 oz jighead.

Another lure that caught everything was a spike-tail grub in white:
[Image: exhy3Ds.jpg][Image: HLZXcyU.jpg]

In murky water it may be the contrast to the background and the way bright white or dark with flash get and holds a fish's attention long enough for it to strike. Both enhanced lure action on the slowest retrieve and lure action is always key to catching any fish, suspended or not.
[signature]
Interesting on the craw grub, kind of reminds me of a version of those crappie magnet lures but those spike tailed grubs have really show their usefulness over the years. How high do you have to have the temp before the plastics will fuse together?
[signature]
You heat the parts up one at a time over a candle flame until the ends seem a little soft and then hold them together for 4 seconds. I use a battery powered soldering gun to further smooth the seam.

Look at my hybrid lure photos in previous posts for some ideas.
[signature]
I can see a few rough edges but for the most part they look pretty smooth. It's amazing you can do work that well with just a candle and a soldering gun.
[signature]
It takes a steady hand and a good eye for alignment. If I screw up and the parts aren't perfectly lined up, I cut them apart with a box cutter razor and start again. Diameters should be close.

Once you make some hybrid lures, it's just a matter of finding which weight jigs and hook sizes that work the best. Usually there's a range for most plastics and the one you chose allows the lure to do it's thing.

If I buy a plastic worm I want shortened, the candle accomplishes that. Same for adding a different front part to the body of a grub.

After searching my posts which include lure photos, if there's any design you need suggestions on how to make them, just ask.
[signature]
Here are a few that demonstrated great action and caught different species:
[Image: MCZIVD6.jpg]

[Image: UVW21j6.jpg]

[Image: opCTqYI.jpg]

two grub bodies:
[Image: bc47gBY.jpg]
[Image: TyRxhPw.jpg?1]

[Image: 7VPxyx6.jpg]

[Image: n62Vi1D.jpg]

craw head fused to grub body:
[Image: zwEknt4.jpg]
[signature]
You sure can get creative with the stuff you make, that dragon fly one looks very interesting but have you caught fish on it?
[signature]
Haven't tried any of the ones in the photo yet. Too busy creating other hybrids and testing them. So far so good.
[signature]