Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry 7-1
Made my 1st trip ever to Strawberry to check out the lakes for kokes, had the pleasure of LKPerch from BFT join me. Got to the lake at 6:45 to find it socked in with fog, another BFT member Bduck and his bud Dan had gotten there about 40 mins ahead of us and were on the water. We launched and I headed toward the east shore trolling over. Fish were jumping and not much on the sonar so we set gear from 10-25’ OTW. Action wasn’t red hot but we kept busy with enough time between fish to scan the fog and check the radar for other boats and keep a clear of others.
LT had never caught a koke or used downriggers before but quickly had it figured out and became pretty efficient at it by the end of the day. As the fog burned off we finally was able to catch up or should I say see Bduck and Dan, Roger was in a different new boat from the last time I had seen him, a beautiful Columbia. We both were close to limits and finished out shortly after noon with a nice grade and headed in. None of the big beasts I’ve heard about on the lake but the Berry will be a regular spot to hit. Thanks LT for joining me, your welcome on the boat anytime time, Roger and Dan great seeing you again and look forward to future trips.

The details
Surface temp was 58 when we started, 53 degrees at 27’
1.6 on the gps
Strawberry bay, middle to east side is where we fished
Gear: see pic below
Corn with tuna/garlic scent was best
Shallow early 10-15’ otw then after the fog was gone 17-25’
[signature]
Nice job guys! One day I’d like to fish it but it’s tough to leave the flaming gorge in my backyard to travel there to fish for kokes.
[signature]
Thanks
Well you have a very good lake in your backyard that I’d have trouble leaving if it was very close [Wink]
[signature]
2knots, thanks for the gracious invitation to join with your trip to the Berry. I PMed 2knots for accepting this convenient trip as we are in the nearby neighborhoods. It is not only my first trip for Kokanee fishing but also to the Berry. I was about to start a new post to share our trip…… Now it is easier for me to follow this post. 2knots is a very dedicated and caring fisherman. He had rigged different combinations of lures and dodgers for kokes. 2knots had all gears ready for me to use and thanks for letting me using two rods with the line counters, making my 1st koke fishing trip easy and comfortable. I spent the first couple of hours learing how to use downriggers. In addition, 2knots also taught me how to adjust colors, lure actions, depth of water, and trolling speeds to increase the catching rate. We started the orange color in the morning 8 am, switched to pink ca. 10 am, and used purple after noon. We also tried different sizes and colors of dodgers. It was a very fruitful day for me to learn many new things on koke fishing!

Kokes scattered around during the day. We caught kokes and cuts here and there without seeing schools. It was not hard for us to catch our limits along with quite a few released cuts. Our koke keepers were around 16-17 in. Ca. 1 pm, Bduck called us saying they were done with their last koke, and a few minutes later we caught two more cuts and finished with a mixed double of our last koke and a cut. The last koke keeper took us a while to catch, which was very considerate and gave us more time to share fishing stories, [Wink].

For me it is very happy to fish instead of sitting in office. It is very, very….happier to catch a new specie with a right fishing buddy on a nice day,[bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy]. A clam and sunny day on the Berry was super pleasant for fishing! Talked to another guy when we left and he also said it was unusual to have a such clam Berry. It was nice to meet up with two other BFTers, Bduck and Dan on water. 2knots, thanks for again for the pleasant trip and look forward to fishing with you again! Hope you will have more BFTers fishing together in the future.
[signature]
It was a pleasure Leo looking forward to our future trips
[signature]
Alan , it was a pleasure to meet you and LKPerch, Bduck and I fish the Berry a lot . It's been a while since I've fished in the fog I was glad we moved to get away from the others that seemed lost in the MUCK. I'm glad your first trip to the berry was successful , hope to see you there again.
[signature]
Dan great to meet you, yes I can see why you and Roger like the lake, looking forward to going again and seeing you also
[signature]